New mommy, need help!!

yumimommy

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Hello,

We have been raising a beautiful lavender silkie since the day after birth!! I previously owned a silkie hen who was tragically killed when she was about 6mos old ... she was the most loving pet we'd ever had <3. We've now had Yumi for about 7 months and alas, it's a boyyyy!!

We absolutely adore him, he's typically very docile and follows us around the house ... meeting me at the fridge for his blueberry treats!! haha But recently (as nature would have it) he is getting more and more aggressive toward my other roommate as well as a strangers that come over randomly. He has never attacked me personally, though he has shown me signs of starting to ... I just snap my fingers, sternly say "noooo" and give him a gentle nudge til he snaps out of it.

This is where our inexperience of chicken raising will glare terribly. We're honestly looking for everyone's experience/knowledge here, so please no hate-mail or tearing us apart for everything we're likely doing wrong!!! This is our first rooster and we want to do what's best for our Yumi, soooooo that being said here's a quick summary of a day in the life of our Roo:
~he is primarily an indoor rooster (85-90%)
~almost 7 months old and the only bird we own
~he gets along very well with our 4 month old kittens, has never attempted to attack either of them
~we take him outside to roam in the backyard a couple times a day which he enjoys basking in the sun
~he's aggressive only toward certain people
~he has now begun crowing at all hours of the day and night

Here are our questions:
~is it possible/humane to only own one rooster with no hens?
~is there any humane procedure we could look into that would lower his testosterone levels (much like neutering a male cat/dog), that would lessen the crowing and aggression?
~any other suggestions that might help with these issues?

Again, we just want what's best for our boy ... he's an amazing pet and has give us so much joy, we just want to make sure we're returning the favor to him!!
smile.png

Signed,
Yumi's Concerned Mama

Hello from Kansas, yumimommy and
welcome-byc.gif
. Just wanted to say welcome aboard and good to have you here. I'm not sure of the answer to your question as I'm pretty new to the poultry thing myself. But someone on here will know the answer - that's for sure. Best of luck to you!!
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Hello there, and welcome to BYC from OHIO!

Your little YUMI is just being a typical rooster. At age 7 mos, you are right, his testosterone is kicking in, and his behavior is very typical for a rooster. They do become more agressive as they become mature males. Not all, but some.

What you want to try is, when he displays this agressive behavior, that person he's been agressive to should pick him up and put him under their arm and carry them around like a football.....He might then get the idea that all humans are in charge. This doesn't always work.

An easy thing to do would be to put him in a safe place, like his coop (or maybe it's a large bird cage) if he's an indoor rooster, when friends come to visit, so that nobody gets hurt. They can really scratch, and bite sometimes, as you may know.

There is a surgical option called caponizing, which a vet may be able to perform, but I really don't know. Alot of people do this procedure themselves....(The idea makes me grimace though....I couldn't do it.) Farmers do this, I guess. A capon is a neutered rooster basically.

I think it would just be easier to cage him when you get visitors, if you're really attached to him. He might be alot happier if he had a female friend, or you would give him to someone who had a nice little flock of hens for him to enjoy.......

Whatever you decide, goodluck!
Sharon

He really is past the age of caponizing... should be done when they are a few weeks...

I have silkie roos... I love them little buggers.. Only I have tooooooooo many. LOL. They are great. Mine just started fighting. Very funny cuz they don't fight very well. They completely miss when they ATTACK!

I also think its cool that he's an indoor guy. BUT that said... Maybe a girl would make him happy. She can be indoors too

Back
Top Bottom