New mum...

broodymum

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 17, 2016
Wakefield
Hi all, I've been lurking on this site for a while getting some great advice but only just joined. I've hatched two lots of chicks with my incubator successfully (tho the fox undid my hard work
1f61e.png
), anyway I have a broody so let her hatch her own. Of the six eggs, two have hatched into gorgeous chicks, three completely empty, and one seemed to be a fully formed but dead chick. I've read lots of advice on why this might happen in an incubator but nothing in why it might happen under a hen? Any thoughts? I can post a pic but didn't know if that would be appreciated... Thank you.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear about your fox attack :( The eggs that were clear sound like they were infertile if nothing developed in them at all. As for your fully formed that did not hatch I'm afraid this can sometimes just happen. What can happen in an incubator can also happen under a hen. I've just had 2 out of my last hatch that failed to hatch after pipping. One of the chicks pipped through a blood vessel and bled out and the other just didn't start zipping and died in the shell. Sometimes it's just the hand nature deals.

Are you in Wakefield, Yorkshire? Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Thank you! Yes I'm in Wakefield Yorkshire. I almost can't wait for another hen to get broody so I can set some more eggs
263a.png
I could sit watching her with her two babies all day they're so cute!!

Back
Top Bottom