New mum...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by broodymum, Jul 17, 2016.

1. broodymum

broodymum New Egg

Jul 17, 2016
    Wakefield
    Hi all, I've been lurking on this site for a while getting some great advice but only just joined. I've hatched two lots of chicks with my incubator successfully (tho the fox undid my hard work [​IMG]), anyway I have a broody so let her hatch her own. Of the six eggs, two have hatched into gorgeous chicks, three completely empty, and one seemed to be a fully formed but dead chick. I've read lots of advice on why this might happen in an incubator but nothing in why it might happen under a hen? Any thoughts? I can post a pic but didn't know if that would be appreciated... Thank you.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Some chicks just don't make it.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear about your fox attack :( The eggs that were clear sound like they were infertile if nothing developed in them at all. As for your fully formed that did not hatch I'm afraid this can sometimes just happen. What can happen in an incubator can also happen under a hen. I've just had 2 out of my last hatch that failed to hatch after pipping. One of the chicks pipped through a blood vessel and bled out and the other just didn't start zipping and died in the shell. Sometimes it's just the hand nature deals.

Are you in Wakefield, Yorkshire? Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Best wishes
    Ct

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. broodymum

broodymum New Egg

Jul 17, 2016
    Wakefield
    Thank you! Yes I'm in Wakefield Yorkshire. I almost can't wait for another hen to get broody so I can set some more eggs [​IMG] I could sit watching her with her two babies all day they're so cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by