new mwmber

tango3

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
ny name if floyd and i live in upstste ny. i have 13 hens and no rooster. i enjoy the hobby and take good care of my girls. it is however quite costly between the food and coop and run cost. my coop is 8x8 and the run id 20x20. they seem quite happy.i just got a heater for the coop complete with 50 foot 12 wire lead cord. cost--55.00.but coop is now quite warm.i am getting about 6-7 eggs daily at this time but i hace some young ones not laying yet.i lost one to vent prolapse and 5 to my dogs. they hace been replaced.i have 10 dogs but i have fixed the run so they don't look at them any more. a doggy electric fence wire cured them very quickly.i would like a rooster but my wife doesent want any fertile eggs. how does this work with chickens. do they have regular bredding cycles? anyway will post again layer.
cool.png

Welcome to BYC! Its a super place to wander around and meet all sorts of folks.
My opinion for heating the hen house; Not. If the power goes out, which it does here in Maine, I'd assume in NY too, are your girls going to be able to deal in the cold with a compromised feathers?
Dogs; Many people lose birds to dogs. Dogs love to have fun and those fast moving clucking/squeaking things that are available to play with!
Rooster; Personally I had a problem with my rooster, he was to much in love...oye. The hens will lose feathers on their backs according to the heft and which girl is his favorite. You can make "saddles" to help prevent or cover bare skin from being cut by the roos nails/spurs. Fertilized eggs are not noticeable to the common person. There is no difference in texture, taste or color. If you type in the search some of these reasons your wife doesn't want a roo, she may be put at ease.
Now, if you wish to incubate eggs, hatch your own babies, then you may decide to make a smaller area where to keep certain girls and swap out with your roo. Perhaps you can go to the search and see if somewhere down the road you would like to ponder owning a rooster. (Personally we have a Bantam Cochin roo for the warning system, crowing and I had a hen begin crowing and this helped to relieve her from that job of being a leader).
Good luck to your new hobby, its just begun! Ha haa haaa haaa haa!

Welcome ....This is way off topic but I just had to let you know that my Father had a wicked Rooster named Floyd. when I was younger...we had to make signs at his meat market saying "the Doberman is okay but watch out for Floyd the Rooster".....Welcome again....lots of information here !!

Hi and welcome, Don't worry aout a roo this winter. Keep a watch out, someone will be giving one away. As a matter of fact I have a RIR roo I'd like to get rid of but it's too far to ship!
lol.png

Hi Floyd and welcome to the sight.

Roosters and hens have a different view on the breeding program.
The rooster (most) seem to want to breed 24/7 but the sun setting stops that and gives the hens a break.
Where as, the hens could care less if they are being bred or not.

I'm curious as to why the dw doesn't want fertile eggs either. Does sne not want chicks or is it she can't eat the fertile ones cause they might taste different?

Back
Top Bottom