New Mystery- WHODUNNIT?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilChickCoop, Dec 13, 2010.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Ok- so we have been getting eggs from Stitch, our EE. Today, when we got home, there was an egg waiting for us, but this one was shaped differently and was a green egg (Stitch's eggs are a pale aqua blue)..... could it be that our other EE is laying again? Or is it the EE cross laying her first egg?

[​IMG]

The one in the middle on the right hand side.... it is definitely darker, but not really that noticeable in this picture. Also, Stitch's eggs have been consistent in shape- this one was longer and narrower.

What do you think?

Edited to Make Picture Bigger

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Egg characteristics do change over time, even in the same hen, but i would guess that the green one came from someone else. It's really just a guess. [​IMG]

3. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My guess is a different hen. BUT sister EEs Martha (30 1/2 wk - 1st egg) and Georgia (33 1/2 wk - 1st egg) used to lay the same color aqua and Georgia slowly got more brown pigment and now lays what I would call sage (kinda blue/grey/green). It surprised me, but then I looked through her eggs from a bit before and it was gradual - just took it getting so dark until I noticed. [​IMG]

4. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Hopefully it is one of the other girls!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I would say it is from someone else. If you look at it, it has a more oblong shape and a much more matte finish to it. The blue ones have a more ameraucana egg shape and a glossier touch.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I think you have a new layer.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also vote new layer. As mentioned, a hen's eggs can gradually change color with age, but not so much from one day to the next. The color change is also more of a fading vs actual change in color.

Beautiful blue eggs!

8. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Thanks! Hopefully we will get some evidence in the next couple of days.

9. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    Yes I agree it might be another one of your hens laying that green one. My other Dom hen just started laying when I found two eggs in one day in the nesting box [​IMG] and her eggs are a lighter, pinky tan color as opposed to her sister's whose are a darker tan with speckles. After looking in the fridge at the eggs I'd been collecting I actually think she has been laying about a week or so because there were other light-colored eggs just like that from this week. Sneaky little boogers....laying their eggs at different times so I wouldn't know...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  10. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] WOOHOO!! We got 2 eggs today- one green and one blue, so the question is now- WHODUNNIT?

[​IMG]

Suspect #1: Ms. Chaka Khan
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2: Ms. Fluffy Buttons
    [​IMG]

Who Do You Think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by