New Mystery- WHODUNNIT?

LilChickCoop

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Central Florida
Ok- so we have been getting eggs from Stitch, our EE. Today, when we got home, there was an egg waiting for us, but this one was shaped differently and was a green egg (Stitch's eggs are a pale aqua blue)..... could it be that our other EE is laying again? Or is it the EE cross laying her first egg?

Tammy%20iPhone%2012132010%20104.JPG

The one in the middle on the right hand side.... it is definitely darker, but not really that noticeable in this picture. Also, Stitch's eggs have been consistent in shape- this one was longer and narrower.

What do you think?

Edited to Make Picture Bigger

Last edited:
My guess is a different hen. BUT sister EEs Martha (30 1/2 wk - 1st egg) and Georgia (33 1/2 wk - 1st egg) used to lay the same color aqua and Georgia slowly got more brown pigment and now lays what I would call sage (kinda blue/grey/green). It surprised me, but then I looked through her eggs from a bit before and it was gradual - just took it getting so dark until I noticed.
tongue.png

I would say it is from someone else. If you look at it, it has a more oblong shape and a much more matte finish to it. The blue ones have a more ameraucana egg shape and a glossier touch.

I also vote new layer. As mentioned, a hen's eggs can gradually change color with age, but not so much from one day to the next. The color change is also more of a fading vs actual change in color.

Beautiful blue eggs!

Yes I agree it might be another one of your hens laying that green one. My other Dom hen just started laying when I found two eggs in one day in the nesting box
ya.gif
and her eggs are a lighter, pinky tan color as opposed to her sister's whose are a darker tan with speckles. After looking in the fridge at the eggs I'd been collecting I actually think she has been laying about a week or so because there were other light-colored eggs just like that from this week. Sneaky little boogers....laying their eggs at different times so I wouldn't know...

Last edited:
celebrate.gif
WOOHOO!! We got 2 eggs today- one green and one blue, so the question is now- WHODUNNIT?

Tammy%20iPhone%2012132010%20002.JPG

Suspect #1: Ms. Chaka Khan
Tammy%20iPhone%2012132010%20011.JPG

Suspect #2: Ms. Fluffy Buttons
Tammy%20iPhone%2012132010%20013.JPG

Who Do You Think?

Back
Top Bottom