New name needed for a duck color...

More interesting results breeding Cinnamon... Celery. He is a dusky boy with head stripes!!! The spots on his belly are brown juvenile feathers that have not yet finished molting - just ignore them. He will be all grey. It is still possible his head stripes could disappear (as they do in grown Mallards) - but this is an interesting sight! He has head stripes (NOT dusky) and he is white under wing (NOT dusky) but he does NOT have a red chest (Dusky). Strange and beautiful! Is it that sooty gene that enables the dusky to suppress the mallard red chest?

Cinnamon (M+, 2 x Light) with Asparagus (Dusky, single Runner gene, single light gene, probably a single sooty gene.

Note: Asparagus is by Filbert (Blue Dusky with probably a single Sooty gene and 2 light genes) out of Thunder (Penciled runner female, no light gene).

Celery's genetics: M+ and Md. One runner gene. 1 or 2 light genes. 0 or 1 brown gene. Perhaps one sooty gene.

Back view:

I will update this post when he finishes maturing and I see what his head does.

In the back view (sorry it's sideways - I can't figure out how to rotate them) he shows a bit of green in his wings - a partially obscured speculum. In the side view he shows the effects of his single runner gene: white wing tips and a white neck ring not due to being a Mallard (he was born with the white neck ring).

Back
Top Bottom