New Narragansett

lleighmay

Songster
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Woodlawn, VA
So- I'm picking up a 1 YOA Narragansett tom tomorrow (his owners are moving- he's been a pet). He's been kept with chickens and reportedly does fine with them. I've gotten fowl before from the folks who have him so I don't doubt that he's been treated well in the meantime. I know he needs to be quarantined but after that should I separate him? Feed him something other than the layer crumbles my girls get or just separate him for feeding before he goes out to graze? I'd like to raise Narragansetts next year and want to do right by him. I plan to let him free range in the goat pasture and backyard and (hopefully) roost in the chicken coop but if needed can feed and/or house him separately. Thanks for your help- Leigh

We keep our birds together and haven't had any problems. Chickens can pass blackhead to turkeys but the blackhead has to be present in the soil to begin with. At one year old you will do fine to feed him layer, once ours go out with the flocks that's what we feed them plus this time of year all the extra veggies and peels etc from the garden and we hardboil the extra eggs and feed that back to the birds.

Steve in NC

wee.gif

Quote:
Layer feed is ok even if it's not breeding season? I'm trying to figure out how to seperately feed my birds once the chicks start laying. If I don't have to seperate, my problem is solved.
wee.gif

Once they are mature they all eat the same thing. It's kind of funny though as they have likes and dislikes when it comes to eating. some like leafy greens some don't - they all like grass and weeds from the garden. turkeys love apple cores but won't touch asain pears, the chickens will kill you for them. They all come running when they see the corn bucket. Funny birds.

Steve

Steve- thank you so much for the info. It certainly will make my feeding job much easier since he can eat the same food. Now the chickens will have to compete for the scrap bucket contents!

Back
Top Bottom