New NC member

rainbowchick

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Hillsborough, NC
Hi Y'All!
Longtime lurker, first time poster....
We will be moving onto a 14 acre farm soon and I am super excited to get chickens. I will be planning on Marans, Wheaten and Lavender Ameraucanas, and hopefully a Silkie or two from my friend at Ravencroft Rookery. :)
Anyone with suggestions for nearby breeders of pure Ameraucanas would be appreciated!
A little about me:
I have four kids under 8 and I'm a stay at home mom. I love gardening and currently teach a gardening class at my kids' school. I also love canning and baking. Oh, and sewing, quilting, crafting, painting, and anything else creative.
I'm looking forward to many years of gleaning knowledge from all of you, and someday offering some knowledge as well... :)

Last edited:
I'm a new member from Hillsborough as well (creative username huh?). You will love Hillsborough. It really is a wonderful little town. I currently have three Cinnamon Queens and 5 new chicks (3 EE's, 1 RIR and 1 Buff Orp).

What a small world!
We LOVE Hillsborough! We've been here for 2.5 years already, renting a home till the right property came along.
PS. I love your username! Sometimes creativity is overrated. :)

Last edited:
Hi Y'All!
Longtime lurker, first time poster....
We will be moving onto a 14 acre farm soon and I am super excited to get chickens. I will be planning on Marans, Wheaten and Lavender Ameraucanas, and hopefully a Silkie or two from my friend at Ravencroft Rookery.
smile.png
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I love your avatar and user name. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. You're going to have a colorful egg basket. I love the chocolate eggs of the Marans. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens.

I'm a new member from Hillsborough as well (creative username huh?). You will love Hillsborough. It really is a wonderful little town. I currently have three Cinnamon Queens and 5 new chicks (3 EE's, 1 RIR and 1 Buff Orp).
Welcome to you as well. Cinnamon Queens are one of many labels that some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links under and they are egg laying machines. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite hens. She loves the colored eggs that they lay. You also feel free to ask any questions you may have, and good luck with your flock.

You can go to "where am I where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. Ask if anyone has the breed you are seeking? Also put the breed name in the search box and see what comes up. If you buy from a hatchery you will end up getting easter eggers instead, and they will do so without an apology.

^ I was also going to suggest 'Where am I, where are you', the state threads are popular places for neighbours to congregate. You can try the Buy Sell Trade section as well. :)

:welcome

Also put the breed name in the search box and see what comes up. If you buy from a hatchery you will end up getting easter eggers instead, and they will do so without an apology.

Yes! I've been researching for about two years. I recently encountered a breeder locally who told me they get their Ameraucana chicks from a hatchery (I hadn't even known hatchery resale was a "thing") and they *assured* me that the Ameraucanas they got were "pretty pure". Umm, yeah, not what I'm looking for....

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom