New. No chickens...but enthusiastically researching and planning.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by J. Ruth, Nov 26, 2011.

1. J. Ruth

J. Ruth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi! I am so excited to have joined this site. I can't wait to get advice from experienced people such as yourselves. I am living in California and I will probably move to the East coast before I get any birds, which probably won't be for a few years...

Right now, I am trying to do as much research and planning as possible because I have the time. [​IMG]
    I have always wanted to have a small farm with chickens, but my experience is limited to say the least. That is why I am trying to learn as much as possible. That is also why I joined this site. I have many specific questions and the people on YahooAnswers! just aren't qualified enough to help me. [​IMG] I am also excited by the prospect of getting multiple answers.
    For now, this is how much planning I have done, but my research is much more extensive:

I plan to use Wellsummers for eggs and Sussex, Wyandottes, and Orpingtons for meat. Since I don't want my eggs to be fertile, I am going to keep the Wellsummer hens separate from the other hens and cocks. I also plan to have the Sussex, Wyandottes, and Orpingtons brood and raise their own chicks. I also plan to have my meat birds be free-range. But, I will also give my Wellsummers plenty of space to roam and forage. [​IMG]

This is an incomplete, and most likely flawed, plan. But, that is why I joined this site. I can't wait to see what all of you have to say! [​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. No need to wait a few years before you get chickens. Springtime is around the corner and you'll need some chickens for fresh eggs!!

4. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    [​IMG]. It sounds like you have a pretty good plan. [​IMG]

5. J. Ruth

Nov 26, 2011
    Quote:I know. I really wish that I could. Honestly, I'm waiting until I move out of my parents' house. But, I appreciate the optimism. [​IMG]

6. J. Ruth

Nov 26, 2011
    Quote:Thank you! [​IMG]

7. J. Ruth

Nov 26, 2011
    Quote:Thank you! [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

9. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome!

There is really no reason to prevent fertile eggs. They won't develop, much less hatch, unless incubated under a broody or in an incubator, and you won't know the difference otherwise -- actually, there is no difference in nutritional value. Even if a fertile egg stays under a broody all day, there will be no development in that length of time.

This is a great place to research chickens well. Wise of you to be well prepared beforehand. And don't get too upset by the illnesses and injuries you'll run into here; most people never have a problem, especially if they practice good biosecurity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by