1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New? Not so much, but as for chicken rearing, yes.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by glbybeeut, Dec 3, 2014.

1. glbybeeut

glbybeeut New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    My name is Lynn, my wife's name is Merlene.

Here the answers to the sample questions:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I was raised on a farm, but we didn't raise chickens. We got our first "flock" early this spring.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We decided on having three, but bought an extra one, just in case one didn't make it. They all survived so we have four.

(3) What breeds do you have? They are Black Sex Links.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Searching the Internet for information on chickens and coops.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening, traveling, fishing, hiking and camping.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am retired military (35 years US Army); married (50 years in two weeks); no pets, lost our dog to old age about a month ago; We are both Master Gardeners and I volunteer at the local Botanical Gardens each summer as a Plant Diagnostician.

I am finding raising chickens to be an interesting adventure. Some times they seem pretty smart, but other times they couldn't be any dumber. I have found a lot of useful advice and information on BackyardChickens.com. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the knowledge base as well.

Lynn (& Merlene)
    South Ogden, UT, USA

1 person likes this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have hit the nail right on the head....they can be extremely smart and in the same second be incredibly dumb. LOL BUT....they are always full of fun, life and love.

So glad you are enjoying your flock! This is the place to be for all the fun and learning. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Thanks for joining. The variable intellect of chickens never ceases to amaze, or at least amuse.

5. goldstandard300

goldstandard300 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Welcome tO BYC!!!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. Thank you for your years of service for our country. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens; hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those ladies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BSLs.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi Lynn, it's a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for your years in service. Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by