New Octagon Coop Construction Underway - Progress

Seriously, what a great job you are doing! When you say big, how big do you mean? Can you take a pic standing beside it so I can get an idea of proportion? Can't wait to be able to get the plans altho, with the detailed building pics you've been posting it should be possible to make a plan using just them. Cheers.

The base is 9 feet, 8 inches across. The walls are 7 feet tall above the base, which is raised about 2 feet off the ground.

I thought we'd have an awful time putting those walls up, but it was pretty easy.

Let's see if I can get a photo in here to show y'all the scale of this monstrosity:

DSC_6469.jpg

Don't look too closely at me. I'm hot, tired and staring into the sun.

Miters! We miter cut small pieces of wood for the corners that we could screw into from the side studs. We put two on each corner, one at 2' and one at 4'. We have covered the whole thing in plastic as there is a storm approaching. [crossing fingers]

The missus believes the effort to cover the structure in plastic is futile, I am being optimistic though. The wind is no help.
We are going to frame the roof next, as the missus pointed out that having unobstructed access to the roof joists will help. She's so smart!
We can frame the nest boxes whilst it is raining. I need to make another run for 2" x 4" x 8' boards and caulk. The missus is the designated caulker, by choice. We need some trim to cover the corners on the inside, otherwise there is a small area that could fill with stuff and not be easily cleaned. We will probably also trim the outsides of the corners too. The frames are measured to 48", but in reality the structure is a little bit bigger, so there will most likely be gaps between the sheets of plywood. I think we picked a good location and design. We can look out of the house or off our deck and see right into the coop. (I'll do some replies after fixing something to eat for the evening.)

Yes, the effort to cover the structure in plastic IS futile, but go at it, honey.
tongue.png

Last edited:
What the heck kind of chickens deserve this?? spoiled rotten chickens, that who! I never thought I'd be jealous of a chicken!

Back
Top Bottom