New on the block

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rmickelson44, Mar 5, 2016.

1. rmickelson44

rmickelson44 Out Of The Brooder

I am glad to be on here. Its nice to see others share the same interest as me. I have a total of 7 chickens. 2 that are laying and 5 that are about 3 days old. My flock consists of a Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, ( my 2 that are laying ) an Ameraucana, Isa Brown(2), Barred Rock, and a Black Australorp. I had chickens growing up and just really enjoy the time I spent with them. I am now trying to share my fun with my 4 children which is very hard in this day and age. Not to long ago I saved a chicken, a Rhode Island Red out of the middle of the street. 4 lanes of traffic and this poor panting chicken stuck in the middle of it all. None the less I stopped all traffic opened my van door grabbed her and put her in my van. Best thing I could have ever done. I don't know how she got there but upon further inspection I noticed she was missing the top part of her beak. When I got home I cleaned out my shed and put her in there. As I went to go get hay and things she may need I was thinking what am I going to do with her. When I got back home and got here settled she was still panting. I got her all set up and just let her be for the night. The next 2 morning I just let her run around my yard not sure if she would stay in the yard.
    But she did. I have a 115 lbs pit bull who she took control of in the 3 days she was getting use to her new home. They were BFF'S from day 1. On the 4th day she thanked me by laying an egg. And everyday after that she blessed me with a egg a day sometimes surprising me with 2. Her name was Ginger. And she was the best thing that could have happened to me and my kids. She passed 3 years later. I enjoyed her so much that I believe having chickens is good for the soul. And she showed me that.

1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - great story about Ginger.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. rmickelson44

Thank you very much...

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like Ginger was the best kind of chicken anyone could have. I would have loved seeing her with your big pit bull. I hope someday you will have Ginger II

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What a great way to do an intro! Thank you for that.

I hope your children are having a good time with the chickens, they can be a lot of fun and teach kids a lot about animals & caring for another living being.

It's nice to have you here!

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT
    Hi and welcome to BYC and thanks for the intro.

8. rmickelson44

[​IMG]

9. rmickelson44

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. rmickelson44

I found the pictures of my pit Dime and my chicken Ginger. They were best friends.... I miss her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by