New owner of 8 guinea fowl - I need some advice

These are some pretty spoiled guineas. They have their own 8x12 building and no run. Totally free-range when the coop door is open all day. In order for a coon to reach the roosts, it would need to scale 6 feet of vertical wallboard and then 18 inches of ceiling at a 5/12 slope - also covered with wall board. The main weakness is the missing window, which will be replaced as soon as the weather worms up a bit. I have to get some measurements and find the right size pane to fit in there. this house came with quite an assortment of replacement window panes. lol

Coons can climb so sooner or later you are probably going to lose guineas to them.  Your best bet is to line their pen with 1/2" hardware cloth  or 1/4" would keep out the squirrels and everything else that was drawn by the feed or birds.  From the wall overlap a foot or two on the floor to cover the gap and then bed over it.  If you can convince them to lay in the coop your hens will be a lot safer when they decide to brood them.

Tell me about it I lost 5 guinea hens due to the fact that they decided to lay in bushes. As I found the nest I took the eggs and put them in the Bator, but I still lost 5. I started out with 18 I hatched out clost to a hundred. I sold gave some away, and now I've got 44. My coop is a steel building on top RR ties. I have a 2x3 ft door they come in at night I lock it. The big door is on the other side. I lock both doors at night. The coop is surrounded by a pen that is enclosed with 800 sq ft pen. It is enclosed with a chain link fence, 6 ft hight set top of RR ties. It is covered with chicken wire. We have killed 3 coins in it this year

Tell me about it I lost 5 guinea hens due to the fact that they decided to lay in bushes. As I found the nest I took the eggs and put them in the Bator, but I still lost 5. I started out with 18 I hatched out clost to a hundred. I sold gave some away, and now I've got 44. My coop is a steel building on top RR ties. I have a 2x3 ft door they come in at night I lock it. The big door is on the other side. I lock both doors at night. The coop is surrounded by a pen that is enclosed with 800 sq ft pen. It is enclosed with a chain link fence, 6 ft hight set top of RR ties. It is covered with chicken wire. We have killed 3 coins in it this year

They came in through holes in the chicken wire I had net secured. I fixed that. They free range during the day are locked up at night with peas which are in the pen all of the time

It has been a while, and we did get 8 and they are, knock on wood, still with us and doing well. We just love them! They are a riot. I don't like that there was one that was outcast by the others, but now a male has joined her and there are two who get picked on, but they all huddle together at night, so I am glad of that!

Back
Top Bottom