New owner, several questions. A fun bag of ignorance!

Quote:
I got out about 8 at night, you think I should go out later then that? I imagine no matter how late I go out I'll wake them up just by opening the run door to get to them, the chicken wire is very clingy!

Never mind they went in by themselves....at 6pm....hope they stay in!

Last edited:
This how he normally looks at me when I'm sitting in the run with them....I tend to feed him by hand. No matter how much he eats he'll always eat whatever food I have in my fingers. Thinking of calling him Pig, or wilber...or something else along those lines.

*Plays "Hungry Eyes" from dirty dancing* (At least I hope thats not a look of "Get out of my cage" )
110672_1104111529_0001.jpg

My "Alpha" Male

I did pet the one hen today after being in there for 2 hours, he bit me like he did the first time. I "pecked" him back, afew minutes later I pet her again and he came over but didn't do anything, maybe he thought I was trying to feed her and not him. Speaking of wich, how do you know if a hen likes to be petted or if you're even doing it right? She just sits there frozen...even afew seconds after I stop. Don't know if she likes it or if it's just fear.

[Edit] Good shot of their old run/cage/dog house they grew up in. (4x8)

Last edited:
Quote:
What you're seeing from all of the ones you mention are dominance traits. Since you "pecked" your rooster back when he bit you, you are now more dominant and not to be attacked by him. Same with the hen. She is letting you know that she considers you dominant to her and is letting you do whatever you wish. While you might want them to do these things because they "like" you, what they're doing is a good thing anyway. Most chickens don't "like" to be petted. What we call petting, what we think of as showing them you like them, is to them sexual behavior. Stroking one on the back is definitely male on female dominance. It's not "I like you" stuff. It's not "I hate you" stuff either, it's just completely different in the chicken world.

I thought as much, so I guess there is no reason to try and pet them. Makes me wonder what people do with "pet" chickens. I'm just happy with watching them just mill about in the yard.

Update on them going in the coop at night, 30 minutes after they "dissapeared" from my living room window view the Alpha rooster is back outside...he's ether dumb or stubborn or both. At least i don't have to catch the other 3 as well, maybe one more night. The exciting thing is it took them only 1 week to get the hang of it, exciting because I think they could handle a nipple waterer which I LOVE the idea of!

The best time to handle our hens is once they are roosting in the evening or first thing in the morning. I try to handle one each morning just so they get used to me. I didn't realise that petting a chicken means more to the chicken than just a "cuddle". Is this really true???

I also chill out with a cup of tea in the chicken run. I don't try to handle them, unless they come up to me. As I usually bring some bread or treats in for the chickens they have learned that visits are to be welcomed. After several weeks of taking my "cuppa" (cup of tea to you Americans) with the flock they are comfortable enough with me to sit on my chair with me, or even sit on my leg.

As with any animal, I think it's important that they know their place with you but that you also respect and know your place with them.

By getting them used to being stroked on the breast, and making them come to you for food, working with them slowly and with trust in mind, you can get them to "like" it and you too from what I've read. It's just that what you describe isn't that. I haven't done this myself, being lazy and basically of the mind that if they don't want to be touched, I simply don't touch them till I have to. They will indeed mill around me and brush up against me often though since they aren't afraid of me.

Well I just went out and put the lone Alpha Male in the coop since he didn't wanna sleep in there. He bit me but I assume it was more a self defence kinda thing then a dominance thing? I think I'll keep working with him all the same, I don't want him bitting me. Bad enough he does it (sometimes) when I feed him by hand. Certainly don't want to be flogged lol

I have a few that seek attention, not so much petting as liking to follow me around and fly up on me. I do like to pet the ones that tolerate it. I have some that don't really like being handled, and I usually leave them alone. Even the ones that don't like being handled do seem to like sitting on my legs or milling around me. Some of them seem to like having their chests or chins/wattles rubbed; they just don't like being picked up.

Back
Top Bottom