New owner with questions :-)

I really can't add anything. As was said the birds will start laying when they are ready. Hatchery birds usually start laying around 24 week MOL. My earliest was at 16 weeks but others have went past 30 weeks before they layed their first egg. Put your hand over the females back and if they squat they are probably not far from laying. I use All Flock/Flock Raiser feed. It's 20% protein which is good while the birds are growing. They do molt several times their first year then after that usually molt once a year. The higher protein is good because their feathers are made of mostly protein. All Flock/Flock Raiser feed is good for all ages of birds. Some people won't agree with this but I put oyster shells in the feeders. It filters down into the pans of my hanging feeders. They birds take what they want. Good luck and have fun...
View attachment 2483217
As I said previously some people won't agree with this but because I give my birds treats of seed and grains along with other things and the oyster shells. I also put grit in my hanging feeders, which again filters down in the pans and the birds can take what they want. I have a lot of birds, more than most on BYC. I average around 200 birds. Putting the oyster shells and grit in their feeders works best for me. Again good luck and have fun with your birds...

I feed mine egg shells too, sometimes they eat them, sometimes they don't. I have a small pan of the oystershell on the side, they mostly ignore it, but if they were needing it, they would.

You are going to get some soft shell eggs, or some misshapen eggs, especially at first. These are living creatures, not machines, and it takes a bit to get the kinks worked out. People often freak about the soft-shell eggs and want to do something! And you can, but truthfully it will works its way out if you do nothing.

In the summer, I wash my water's in cider vinegar - to reduce algae. Do not put it in their water all the time. I once contacted a professional breeder about what he fed, and he said, any good commercial feed, is best. They have to meet standards, and are tested and have been scientifically researched to meet the needs of chickens.

Try and keep a flock, and enjoy the birds you have now, KNOWING that the birds will change with time. Give them the best life you can, but do not feel guilty when you loose one. Generally speaking, chickens are not real long lived, and some have genetic miscues, that you can do nothing about. Some people on here, have very old chickens, but it is very unrealistic to expect all of yours to live for a long time. It is better to plan on loosing a few, and adding a few each year. I keep a flock, and have for years, but the birds come in and go out of the flock.

When do they lay, pretty much you are fairly confident that you have the only non-laying flock in the country, and you have been sure they should be laying, and have given up hope. You find the treasure.

Good luck, this is a fun hobby

In the summer, I wash my water's in cider vinegar - to reduce algae. Do not put it in their water all the time.

ACV (I've used kombucha too) keeps algae down due to its acidic nature. That's why it shouldn't be used with metal waterers. Mine are all plastic, and during the summer, they can get just plain gross. As Mrs. K said, washing them with ACV helps keep that slime down.

DE does have a use, though... It's great in the garden to deter slugs. I'm thinking it might also help with making the icy driveway less slippery. Anyone tried that?

And, OP, welcome. This is a great forum.

I'm thinking it might also help with making the icy driveway less slippery. Anyone tried that?
Think it would be too fine. I've tried oyster shell dust from bottom of bag, didn't help at all, coarse sand is best for ice traction, IMO.

ACV (I've used kombucha too) keeps algae down due to its acidic nature. That's why it shouldn't be used with metal waterers. Mine are all plastic, and during the summer, they can get just plain gross.
They should always have plain water available.
My closed HN waterer is kept in the coop, out of the sun, never gets algae.

My closed HN waterer is kept in the coop, out of the sun, never gets algae.

I had one inside, and it stayed clean too. I don't think the chickens ever used it though.

I'm gonna try again with the HN next spring, see if my eye-beak coordination challenged cockerel can figure it out. I appreciate your suggestion to give them access to an open waterer at the end of the day.

I'm gonna try again with the HN next spring, see if my eye-beak coordination challenged cockerel can figure it out. I appreciate your suggestion to give them access to an open waterer at the end of the day.
Good, you'll love it, especially nest winter...and give them more time to acclimate.
IIRC you only tried it for one day?

Good, you'll love it, especially nest winter...and give them more time to acclimate.
IIRC you only tried it for one day?

Yeah, about a day and a half. I saw what I suspected to be dehydration symptoms, so I brought out an open style waterer. He went right over to it and tanked up. I also need to fix the HNs so they don't leak. Plumbers tape, maybe? One of the two was fine, but the other slowly dripped and made an ice puddle.

Back
Top Bottom