new pair of pheasants

johncv

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
louisiana
hello i just bought a pair of pheasants. i have a few questions how often do they lay? are they broody or do they just lay and walk away. what are some treats to give them. can i mix different breeds of pheasants?

What breed did you buy?Ringnecks lay every day,most others lay evry other day,impeyans lay evry 3rd day.Some will set while others will not.You would have to leave the eggs in the nest to see if they will set.Any kind of fruit,veggies,wild bird seed,mealworms,crickets and they love peanuts(unsalted).All pheasant species should be raised sererately.
In N.H.,Tony.

i got ringnecks. the hen layed an egg this morning but she didnt lay it in the nest box it was just on the floor.

Yeah they will lay them anywhere.Try putting a tree branch leaning on the side of the pen and see if she chooses a spot under there to lay.Ringnecks very rarely go broody,but some do.Leave them in the nest if she lays them in a nest,for 9 or 10 days.If she doesn't decide to set pick them up and incubate or have a bantam set on them.After 15 days an eggs fertility starts to drop rapidly.
In N.H.,Tony.

ok ill go look for branches and ill leave the egg to see if she lays. thanks alot for the help

Back
Top Bottom