New peachicks - heat lamp question

trinks

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 13, 2015
My hens have had eggs the past two years and never successfully hatched any babies so I thought this year would be the same. I have the hens in a pen with the males. The first chicks hatched and the male picked one of them up by the neck so I caught them and put them in a cage with a heat lamp, feed and water. Those three ended up dying within a week, not sure why. The next hen had 5 chicks so I decided to let her keep her babies and try to raise them. We built a makeshift pen around her and so far she is doing well with them. I am wondering if I need a heat lamp inside the shelter for them or let the mom take care of everything? We are in a heatwave for the next two weeks but I know they are supposed to be kept at 90 degrees for the first four months. Not sure what to do.

My hens have had eggs the past two years and never successfully hatched any babies so I thought this year would be the same. I have the hens in a pen with the males. The first chicks hatched and the male picked one of them up by the neck so I caught them and put them in a cage with a heat lamp, feed and water. Those three ended up dying within a week, not sure why. The next hen had 5 chicks so I decided to let her keep her babies and try to raise them. We built a makeshift pen around her and so far she is doing well with them. I am wondering if I need a heat lamp inside the shelter for them or let the mom take care of everything? We are in a heatwave for the next two weeks but I know they are supposed to be kept at 90 degrees for the first four months. Not sure what to do.
Mom will regulate the temperature for the chicks, they do not need a heat lamp when they are with their mother. Chicks do NOT need to be kept at 90* for the first four months. The first week 95*, then reduce the temp by five degrees every week for four weeks. When you run a heat lamp you need to place it so the chicks can get away from it so they do not overheat.

Mom will regulate the temperature for the chicks, they do not need a heat lamp when they are with their mother. Chicks do NOT need to be kept at 90* for the first four months. The first week 95*, then reduce the temp by five degrees every week for four weeks. When you run a heat lamp you need to place it so the chicks can get away from it so they do not overheat.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom