New Pekin Ducklings

lynnechrista

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 3, 2012
We have raised chicks, but these are our first ducklings. We have two full grown ducks that are with the now full grown chickens. So I have a few questions:

How old should the ducklings be before we can start putting them together with the grown chickens and ducks? and when can they start eating the same feed and when would they start laying? I've read so much online. We bought the same feed they were getting at the farm store in order to not shock their systems. From what I have read it says they should be on the feed for 3-4 weeks, then on the "grow" feed for 3 weeks and then you can put them on the layer feed. I am wondering if this is accurate for Pekins.

Anyone raise Pekins and have some words of wisdom? We let our chickens/ducks run free most of the time, so we are excited for these ones to grow up and help eat slugs, bugs, etc in the garden, yard and fields.

Thank you!

We have raised chicks, but these are our first ducklings. We have two full grown ducks that are with the now full grown chickens. So I have a few questions:

How old should the ducklings be before we can start putting them together with the grown chickens and ducks?

I don't mix the birds until minimum 6 - 8 weeks. I usually wait until 12 weeks

when can they start eating the same feed and when would they start laying?

What are you feeding? If layers you cam usually start around 5 months and hens start around 6 months

I've read so much online. We bought the same feed they were getting at the farm store in order to not shock their systems. From what I have read it says they should be on the feed for 3-4 weeks, then on the "grow" feed for 3 weeks and then you can put them on the layer feed. I am wondering if this is accurate for Pekins.

Anyone raise Pekins and have some words of wisdom? We let our chickens/ducks run free most of the time, so we are excited for these ones to grow up and help eat slugs, bugs, etc in the garden, yard and fields.

Be careful about letting them into the garden because they'll eat bugs AND all of your plants

Thank you!
WelcometoBYC.gif

Back
Top Bottom