New Pet Coming Home Today! (Betta Fish Thread!)

He's a very lucky boy then! I would love to see a pic of his whole tank.
It doesn't have to many decorations, but I think it's nice.
20200805_164117.jpg

He keeps on trying to eat the light off the heater! He's so pretty!

Aw yeah bettas!
I'm trying to breed bettas to show. 'Trying' being the operative word here. I think I have the world's worst luck with breeding bettas, because I can never get any of the fancy ones to spawn. But a $10 pair of veiltails I pick up from the pet store? Bam! So many babies. I am...frustrated beyond words.

Anyway, here's my current crew:
bechuille.jpg
This is Be Chuille, a black copper hm. She did have a matching male (named Bazylik) who I had to euthanize earlier this year due to contracting a very resistant fungal infection. They never spawned for me, which is a right shame.

dalermehndi.jpg
Daler Mehndi, one of the afore-mentioned petstore vt's. He was flare-wiggling at the camera too hard.
granuaile.jpg
His partner in crime, Granuaile. They successfully spawned twice. However the second spawn was lost due to an untimely tornado that cut power in my town in the dead of winter. Bigchonk.jpg
That gal in the back is the last of their first spawn. She's a turquoise vt I named Big Chonk.

Because I enjoy pain and suffering, I recently purchased two more pairs of bettas that so far have also refused to spawn for me!
Fugue.jpg
Fugue is a blue butterfly hm.
xena.jpg
And his partner Xena, who is solid blue hm but I'm positive has marble in her genetic makeup because her sister (my first choice) went from a blue butterfly hm to a solid turquoise before she was shipped to me. The seller offered to substitute another fish, and I chose this one instead.
Toccata.jpg
Toccata is a red dragonscale butterfly hm. His butterfly pattern is gorgeous when he's got his fins flared.
cleopatra.jpg
And the gal I chose for Toccata, Cleopatra, who is a cambodian ct. I've never owned a ct before because generally I don't care for them. But her finnage and rays are gorgeous, and Toccata is kinda my experimental one anyway, so I was interested in what sorts of fry they could produce.

If they ever produce any.

Aw yeah bettas!
I'm trying to breed bettas to show. 'Trying' being the operative word here. I think I have the world's worst luck with breeding bettas, because I can never get any of the fancy ones to spawn. But a $10 pair of veiltails I pick up from the pet store? Bam! So many babies. I am...frustrated beyond words.

Anyway, here's my current crew:
View attachment 2290505
This is Be Chuille, a black copper hm. She did have a matching male (named Bazylik) who I had to euthanize earlier this year due to contracting a very resistant fungal infection. They never spawned for me, which is a right shame.

View attachment 2290510
Daler Mehndi, one of the afore-mentioned petstore vt's. He was flare-wiggling at the camera too hard.
View attachment 2290512
His partner in crime, Granuaile. They successfully spawned twice. However the second spawn was lost due to an untimely tornado that cut power in my town in the dead of winter.View attachment 2290516
That gal in the back is the last of their first spawn. She's a turquoise vt I named Big Chonk.

Because I enjoy pain and suffering, I recently purchased two more pairs of bettas that so far have also refused to spawn for me!
View attachment 2290511
Fugue is a blue butterfly hm.
View attachment 2290514
And his partner Xena, who is solid blue hm but I'm positive has marble in her genetic makeup because her sister (my first choice) went from a blue butterfly hm to a solid turquoise before she was shipped to me. The seller offered to substitute another fish, and I chose this one instead.
View attachment 2290513
Toccata is a red dragonscale butterfly hm. His butterfly pattern is gorgeous when he's got his fins flared.
View attachment 2290525
And the gal I chose for Toccata, Cleopatra, who is a cambodian ct. I've never owned a ct before because generally I don't care for them. But her finnage and rays are gorgeous, and Toccata is kinda my experimental one anyway, so I was interested in what sorts of fry they could produce.

If they ever produce any.

Your bettas are so pretty!
Not sure if you knew this already, but you can't breed veil tails for show. That tail type isn't accepted.

@HappyClucker7
Thanks!
Actually the IBC does have show standards for VTs now :) at least as a trial form, as of the last show standards guidelines I have. I think they're working on an updated book of guidelines this year so we'll see if the VT standards will remain! I hope they do, I think it's kinda ridiculous it's taken this long to allow them to show. They're by far my favorite type.

That being said, my blue pair definitely is not show-quality, and I didn't purchase them to show. They were bought in a fit of rage when I couldn't get any of my HMs to spawn and I needed a pair I could experiment with to try to troubleshoot my spawning methods. Except that they had zero trouble spawning so the only 'troubleshooting' I came up with was 'I suck at choosing higher-quality fish to pair together' :p.

@HappyClucker7
Thanks!
Actually the IBC does have show standards for VTs now :) at least as a trial form, as of the last show standards guidelines I have. I think they're working on an updated book of guidelines this year so we'll see if the VT standards will remain! I hope they do, I think it's kinda ridiculous it's taken this long to allow them to show. They're by far my favorite type.

That's so cool! I didn't know they added the VTs now.
I like VTs too. I think they deserve to be included in shows too.

That being said, my blue pair definitely is not show-quality, and I didn't purchase them to show. They were bought in a fit of rage when I couldn't get any of my HMs to spawn and I needed a pair I could experiment with to try to troubleshoot my spawning methods. Except that they had zero trouble spawning so the only 'troubleshooting' I came up with was 'I suck at choosing higher-quality fish to pair together' :p.

:gig

Back
Top Bottom