new pheasants with pics

We really enjoy our ringnecks. I held off getting them for a long time because of all the "horror stories" I heard about them but now i'm glad we did. They are different than other birds that is for sure but once you learn the quirks there is nothing to it.

Steve

Is the pheasant on the right in the first photo a male or female? my fez just turned 10 weeks and is starting to get burgundy feathers around it's neck. Just curious as what sex bird I have.

Thanks!

Definitely sounds like you have a rooster to me. At 10 weeks of age you should be able to tell whether you have a rooster or hen. Can you see the (red) wattles around the eye yet? Also does he have any spur bumps that you can see yet?

The fez was making a horrible hissing noise from his coop ( is this normal? What does it mean?) and when I opened the door to see what was wrong he flew over my head and ran into the woods. *sigh* (I know he was definitely a boy because he was starting to get pretty bluish-green feathers on the back of his head.) My neighbors have seen him around but he hasn't come back to the yard to visit his chicken sisters. Maybe he found some fez family? or a nice flock of turkeys to travel with. Ah..my wild fez! I wish him well!

Yes they hiss lol. I have to admit the first time I sneaked up on them at night, they all seemed to be hissing, like cats, lol. Its a little disconcerting. Now, about that fez. He will be hanging around at night maybe, or roosting nearby. At least for a day or two. I would leave the door open (of course move the others), leave some food, and keep watch here and there. Also, a two door system, is a good option. They should open inward. One should always be closed. Not so much in grow out pens, but in main pens. I got the idea from one of the big pheasant hatcheries, maybe it was McFarlane's or McMurrays. I only keep 3 or 4 roosters with 25 or so hens and losing a rooster would be a bummer. Sorry : (

Back
Top Bottom