New pics, new questions (pic heavy)

Oh, thank God! My Australorp's comb is hardly visible, and what little I can see of it looks blackish. The waddles are tiny and have just recently started turning that pinkish/reddish color. I'm
eusa_pray.gif
that Betty is a pullet!

Your BO looks just like my Buffy... Jody... whatever it's name is!
tongue.png

Quote:
Did I read that right that your Australorp's name is Betty? If so, mine was too! Of course it changed to Bert, and I was sad
sad.png
I wasn't going to have a chicken named Betty. I named her (him) for Betty Paige. I'm glad you'll be able to keep yours as Betty! Too perfect for a chicken! My BO's name is Boris (used to be Doris for Doris Day
tongue.png
) Again, I am sad the name Doris didn't work out. It seemed so perfect for a big buttery yellow chicken.

Yes, our Australorp is Black Betty (after the song by Ram Jam
big_smile.png
)

The BO started out as Buffy. Very original, I know. Now s/he is Jody (remember Buffy and Jody on Family Affair -- or am I showing my age?) At least Jody is a unisex name, so we're safe either way.
wink.png

Oh what a difference just two days makes. Jody, the BO, was acting quite aggressive and chasing everyone around this morning, especially the poor little SLW. Just look at those wattles and comb... at only 8 weeks old! :eek:

2534013610_11811edd70.jpg

2534013258_b028f9a1f9.jpg

2534013196_175d8f47a2.jpg

2533199191_87737bd604.jpg

"I'm king of the coop!" (Nice view of those butt feathers)
2533199413_1f32e42c44.jpg

SLW, who used to be Lacy... now Lance?
hmm.png

2534013418_a347c88f10.jpg

Jody is definitely a boy! I don't know if you have found the same to be true, but my Boris is a total clown. He loves to race around the chicken yard down in the "aero" position with his wings out and his neck and head protruding forward in a completely horizontal position. He will run in circles around the coop almost like he's doing puppy laps. My Delaware just stares at him like he's crazy:rolleyes: I never planned on keeping a rooster, but he is so much comic relief I can't force myself to get rid of him right now. If he gets mean or starts making too much noice I guess I will have no choice, but I'm trying to keep him if possible.

I love the picture of Jody with his head cocked to the side. You can definitely see that mischievous look in his eye. By the way, when did your Wyandotte's comb start to change and waddles start to develop? I have a Gold Laced Wyandotte that is about 5 weeks and no sign of comb development, but there is a very slight indication of waddles. Just a pink line where they should be really, but after being 99.9% sure she was a girl a day ago, now I'm worried again.

I'm 99.9% sure your Australorp is a she! I raised them last year and thought I had five pullets. By five weeks old it was very obviously that one was a Roo.

Here's a picture to show you the differences:

IMG_1133.jpg

See ... Roo on the right, pullet on the left. That was about five weeks old.

Quote:
Mmm, noticed the comb and wattles last week, at 7 weeks old. They have turned darker now, and the the comb looks different now too. I'm so afraid Lacy is a Lance.
sad.png

And yes, Jody is a hoot, and has been since the day I brought him home. You just don't know how hard it is going to be to have to part with him.
hit.gif
But, I know my next door neighbors, and I know they wouldn't stand for any cock-a-doodle-dooing -- especially at 4 or 5 in the morning! Can't say I blame them though.

Quote:
Mmm, noticed the comb and wattles last week, at 7 weeks old. They have turned darker now, and the the comb looks different now too. I'm so afraid Lacy is a Lance.
sad.png

And yes, Jody is a hoot, and has been since the day I brought him home. You just don't know how hard it is going to be to have to part with him.
hit.gif
But, I know my next door neighbors, and I know they wouldn't stand for any cock-a-doodle-dooing -- especially at 4 or 5 in the morning! Can't say I blame them though.

Actually I do no how hard it will be to part with him:( I have had the same feeling about Boris for the last 6 weeks. I live in a residential area, but thankfully close to a fairly busy road, plus we have a privacy fence and the coop is near the house so there is a buffer between it and all our neighbors. So far he only crows in the morning when he sees either me or my husband walk by in the window, or when he hears a car pull in the driveway, or when he just wants out into the run. No neighbor complaints yet (our 3 dogs are louder and more annoying I would say,) but I still tip-toe past the window or even duck so he can't see me if it's really early in the morning! I can't wait until someone starts laying so I can start giving eggs away to help keep the peace.

Back
Top Bottom