New pigeon owner with questions

rebelgal23

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Hardeman
ok well one of my friends gave me a pair of birmingham baldies (thats what he said they were called).and i have never owned a pigeon in my life so if yall could please help me out lol.what kind of pen do they need and the best kind of feed and what all kind of up keep is on them and well everything lol.I have alot of animals and always have when i get a new type of animal i usually just read up on them and figure out everything bout them but with school i cant so if yall could please help me.

That site looks pretty good. The largest pigeon species is the Victorian Crowned Pigeon, which is the size of a big chicken
smile.png

Birmingham Rollers are really fun. The majority of mine were black Baldheads. You can keep them in a rabbit hutch, but if you want to breed them, you may want a loft or kit box for the babies. Make sure they each have a perch, and a nestbox/bowl and nesting material if you want to breed them. They make pigeon feed mixes, but if you must, you can feed them a mix of wild bird seed and layer pellets. Grit is a must. If the grit doesn't have crushed oystershell, then you'll need to mix that in too. In a month or so after you get them in the cage they'll be kept in, you can let them out to fly.

thank yall so much!I love my two pigeons i have and i was wrong on what they were they are birminghiam rollers black baldies.There is a club havein a show in fort payne alabama and its a Bantm chicken,Bantam duck, and Pigeon show i think i might put my two pigeons in there and just see what happens lol.

Good luck at the show, it will be fun. If you decide to let your birds out to fly when its time, beware !!! there is BOP'S that will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom