New pigs

blucoondawg

Songster
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
Well I'm diving into pigs head first, hopefully it works out, I've never messed with pigs yet but by this weekend I'll have 6 feeders. I was only going to do 2 or 3 but the wife got to talking to people and now we're up to 6 and if I had the room I could do a lot more, seems everyone wants a pig. We will be raising a Tamworth/mulefoot cross. Hopefully they do well. I've moved my meat bird hoop coop over to the pig area for a shelter for the pigs now I've just got to string some electric fence and build a trough.

I hope you enjoy your pigs. We've also found when we're raising feeders everyone we know wants to get in for at least a half. We've got four on order for later this spring. We usually sell the extras for enough that our meat is free. Buying feed in bulk is a great money saver if you've got a mill nearby.

I want to be able to run at least one sow on our new place. Folks around here sure love their pork
smile.png

The people we are getting these from are getting their feed for around 7 bucks a 50lb bag went they buy in quantity. That seems like a fair price there's another mill I'm gonna check but I doubt it will get much cheaper unless you go bulk and I don't currently have anything to store bulk feed. If we like having them around maybe we'll get a couple breeders next

They look like nice long bodied animals. Lots of bacon
smile.png

The folks we're getting ours from didn't get their sow to settle until late, so the piglets were just born this last week. Puts us a little farther out than we'd wanted, but that's okay. they're planning on another litter in July, so we'll likely do two batches.

Ya there about half and half some longer some shorter. The one sow is the biggest and she's nice and long she would be a good one to start breeding but I've got enough people after pigs I'm just gonna butcher her. I may get a breeder next year actually it's the wife that wants to mess with that lol. She just loves watching the babies

Back
Top Bottom