new Polish color

I don't know anything about this subject, but I would definatley say not to breed wyandottes into your polish. You would NEVER be able to fix the distorton that the Wyandotte genes would cause to your Polish babies. I would suggest maybe crossing GL Polish to WC Blue Polish and see what you get. If that diddn't work, you could try breeding Buff laced Polish to WC Blue Polish. Hope I helped.
smile.png

Was reading how they made the blr color in cornish.
They took a blue cornish Roo and bred it to columbian and dark hens.
I was lucky enough to hatch a buff columbian polish from my gold laced and am now going to breed it to a blue Roo. I'm going to try to try to make blue laced red polish. Hoping it'd be easy since my buff columbian carries GL gene
fl.gif

Then select for best color and type crossing back until you get it them to breed true...sounds simple;) I think it usually takes 5-8 generations:D BTW, I would love to see pics and I would be interested in project eggies if you'd like a project buddy. I love the BLR color.

Josh these birds will be at most a blue columbian, unless the female shows incomplete lacing. you need to re introduce the lacing. you also would only create blue laced buff, you dont have red bred into them... you can try breeding her to the blue, but there are multitudes of factors that are important for the color to apear

It would be fairly easy to make blue laced gold polish. With crossing the BLRW to a GL polish you have to realize that the polish are different lacing (laced tails like sebrights) and wyandottes have solid colored tails, its confusing to explain.
Anyway if you crossed a blue polish to a gold laced you would get mostly solid females with some gold in the hackle, saddle, wingbow of the males. Breed those pullets back to a gold laced which will show some sign of lacing. If you then take those and breed back to a gold laced you should have blue laced gold with decent lacing. Keep in mind when I said breed pullets back to gold laced I mean only keep the blue pullets with best type and lacing. When I made dun laced wyandottes I used the recipe that I shared but used solid dun and silver laced wyandottes.
A few years back I saw someone with blue laced gold project eggs on ebay but havent seen anything since then.

Quote:
There ya go.
smile.png
Good answer.

A huge thing people also need to consider is mahogany. One of those big issues commonly found even in the ever-popular BLRW is that the mahogany genes are missing. Without it, they're just Blue Laced Golds.
wink.png
Simply crossing Blue and Gold Laced won't do the trick, and Wyandotte x Polish will be a LONG road.
wink.png

We're talking taking down the size, the egg color, comb type, and bringing back the crest, muffs/beard if you need it, the tail length and type, the body, the leg length, the leg color, the head type, the cavernous nostrils, the good sized vaulted skull, etc.

I don't mean to dampen people's party, I just want to make sure people realize what this idea really means.
smile.png

I dont think there is mahogany in polish but I have heard there are red polish that show a nice dark red color so you never know. As I was saying, it would be easy to do blue laced gold within the polish but folks have to keep in mind that you have to build/maintain the barn before it can be painted. The problem with using buff laced is that alot of the time it is more dominant white based I think. I know when we had extra birds we crossed a BLRW roo on buff laced polish hens and got all buff laced birds with a plymouth rock body, rose comb, small crest, interesting looking birds but far from polish.

I personally think some Tolbunts have mahogany in them. When my boys are crossed with Gold Laced, the offspring are lighter in lacing than the Tolbunt parents, and when they're crossed with other mahogany carriers, the offspring seem to stay the same darkness. But, who knows, maybe I'm just imagining it.

There's "red" Polish out there but I honestly think they're as "red" as New Hampshires or something. . . I wouldn't count on them for a project, plus, they're hatchery birds, hatchery created. And in that case, as you said, one must build the barn before they paint it.

Buff Laced Polish will indeed also be a long project to get rid of the dominant white. Also, again, most out there are hatchery based, just as most LF any laced color of Polish. They're rare in good form, sadly. I have indeed seen good laced hatchery Polish though. My best laced Polish is a silver laced from Murray Mcmurray. Aside from her white patch on the crest, she's nearly perfect!!

But if I really want to speak my mind - I think we're spending too much time dreaming about fad colors. The colors of Polish we already have now are already in need of work, more breeders, and more population improvement. Good quality Gold Laced and Silver Laced are hard to find, Tolbunts (who are very gorgeous and unique!) are very rare and quite inbred, some very weak, and then there's the Creles who still need improvement, and there's even a few Columbian, Self-Buff, and other odd rare colors out there I'd love to see more of.

Again, I don't mean to sound rude or like a party crasher, I just would love to see more people dedicated to preserving what's already there, and, sadly - slowly going extinct. I myself know first-hand how incredibly exhausting it is to find some non-hatchery based Gold or Silver Laced LF Polish.

Back
Top Bottom