New Polish/Tophats flock owners

Are you saying they do not lay at all in the winter? Also the bag recommends starting layers feed at 15 weeks but then I know there's a rooster in this flock as we have heard the crowing so how would I make sure that the roo gets the right feed? I think I'll just take ya'lls advice and just feed the all flock. Period. I did buy some oyster shell too..they are almost 15 weeks.
Darlia
Hello Darlia, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

I've never fed layer feed to my flock in over 5 years and have always had roosters/cockerels. I just keep them on grower/broiler mash, Flock Raiser or whatever all flock type feed is available that offers 18-20% protein. I have two containers of oyster shell on the side for the active layers.
Hens don't need the extra calcium during the winter after they molt and before they start laying again in the Spring.

Are you saying they do not lay at all in the winter? Also the bag recommends starting layers feed at 15 weeks but then I know there's a rooster in this flock as we have heard the crowing so how would I make sure that the roo gets the right feed? I think I'll just take ya'lls advice and just feed the all flock. Period. I did buy some oyster shell too..they are almost 15 weeks.
Darlia
An All Flock feed is always best if you keep a rooster, they don't need all the calcium that's in layer, your boy will be healthier and live longer.

After their first year, most hens molt in the fall and winter. All the protein goes into growing new feathers so most hens don't lay or lay very infrequently until molting is finished and or late winter, early spring.

Hello Darlia and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have been given great advice above. For a mixed flock I always feed an All Flock type feed that does not have high calcium levels. And offer oyster shell on the side in a small tub kept near the food or water for hens to access when needed.

Enjoy your flock, Tophats are a fun breed!
Thanks! Yes they are fun. Hilarious to watch as they are so inquisitive and each has a different personality.
I have been laughing at how when I let them out of the run to be in our yard, they jubulantly fly out like little kids going to the playground and they all run up to the back deck. We are assuming it's because they see us come out of that door to the house to bring food.
A lot to learn and figure out as we go.

An All Flock feed is always best if you keep a rooster, they don't need all the calcium that's in layer, your boy will be healthier and live longer.

After their first year, most hens molt in the fall and winter. All the protein goes into growing new feathers so most hens don't lay or lay very infrequently until molting is finished and or late winter, early spring.
That's another way
to see who's a roo or hen when the birds don't eat it.

Back
Top Bottom