new poster here, lurking for a while. from NJ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by quiltchick, Mar 18, 2013.

1. quiltchick

quiltchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Central NJ
    Hi all,
    I have had chickens for exactly one year now and have come to Backyard Chickens repeatedly for information but never introduced or posted.

I presently have 12 one year old chicks: 2 buff Orpingtons, 2 Bard rocks, 3 Americainas, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 buff Brahma, 2 Comets, and 1 partridge rock Rooster.

So far my flock is growing with the following chicks this year: 4 mixed breeds my friend hatched from my eggs, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Buff orpingtons, and 2 more Bards Rocks.

I have on order: 4 Austrolorps and 3 Copper Marans which are supposed to arrive next week.

I am running out of Coop space so for now, this may be it. My plan is to eventually have a small, egg farm with free range chicks. I would hope to make their feed money and some extra. We will see. Now I am limited to my coop size, which is 8 by 8 by 7 ft tall. All of my birds now roost in the rafters- so there is plenty of roost space- not so much left in the rafters [​IMG].

I live in Rural central NJ, on a small farm with several horses, my chicks, 3 barn cats and a Cocker Spaniel. I am surrounded by lots of farmland.

I really appreciate this site and the advice that every one is so generous with. I have always found the answers to my questions without having to ask myself! Until yesterday when I had a hen lay eggs outside the coop for the first time. I found a pile of 4 in the hay room. Many people came to my aid with great suggestions, and I thank them!

Thanks for Backyard Chickens.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Glad you're enjoying it here [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, quiltchick,and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community and happy BYC was here to help you with your questions. Good luck and have fun with your flock!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your egg production venture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by