new poultry mama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phyllis Lee, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Phyllis Lee

Phyllis Lee New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    My name is Phyllis Lee. I live in Aztec, NM. A friend from my church gave me 7 ladies and a rooster. I am so excited as that is one animal I haven't owned and I am working on getting a pen set up for my new additions. I have a coop on its way as my hubby is out of town so i an trying to get this done on my own. I am trying to decide whether to fence of a square in the front of my house where we have a pad or in the back by my garden. The only issue with the back is my two German shepherd dogs. I am not getting the chickens for their lunch.

Any suggestions?

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Hi! Glad you joined the flock @Phyllis Lee ! Isn't the first time getting chickens exciting?! I love it! [​IMG] I don't know how much advice I can give you on your decision to make about the coop but someone on here might be able to give you some good advice. But I can give you this link about training your dogs to get along with your chickens: https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/introducing-dogs-to-your-chickens
    Have a wonderful time on BYC! [​IMG]

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there Phyllis Lee, and welcome to Backyard chickens! You got a great and informative link there, if you need any advice or ideas on the coop, check out this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hell from Kansas, Phyllis, and :welcome! Glad you took the poultry plunge and :)joined our community! Good luck and best wishes! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I like the idea of you having the coop in the front since there is already a pad. If you cover their run, it will keep critters out and keep chickens inside - a good deal all around.Plus a solid run cover offers some protection from the elements and some shade.

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello Phyllis, and welcome to BYC!

9. Phyllis Lee

Phyllis Lee New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    I have been trying to figure out an inexpensive a\way to give them a cover for rain/snow, any ideas?

10. 18acres

18acres Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    Just a normal coop should be good enough. There are lots of designs. I tend to throw in a extra bale of hay in the winter for extra insolation. Be sure the roof can withstand rain/snow. Add a cheap tarp if needed.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by