new poultry mama

Phyllis Lee

Hatching
Oct 7, 2016
My name is Phyllis Lee. I live in Aztec, NM. A friend from my church gave me 7 ladies and a rooster. I am so excited as that is one animal I haven't owned and I am working on getting a pen set up for my new additions. I have a coop on its way as my hubby is out of town so i an trying to get this done on my own. I am trying to decide whether to fence of a square in the front of my house where we have a pad or in the back by my garden. The only issue with the back is my two German shepherd dogs. I am not getting the chickens for their lunch.

Any suggestions?

welcome-byc.gif
Hi! Glad you joined the flock @Phyllis Lee ! Isn't the first time getting chickens exciting?! I love it!
love.gif
I don't know how much advice I can give you on your decision to make about the coop but someone on here might be able to give you some good advice. But I can give you this link about training your dogs to get along with your chickens: https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/introducing-dogs-to-your-chickens
Have a wonderful time on BYC!
smile.png

I like the idea of you having the coop in the front since there is already a pad. If you cover their run, it will keep critters out and keep chickens inside - a good deal all around.Plus a solid run cover offers some protection from the elements and some shade.

I have been trying to figure out an inexpensive a\way to give them a cover for rain/snow, any ideas?

Just a normal coop should be good enough. There are lots of designs. I tend to throw in a extra bale of hay in the winter for extra insolation. Be sure the roof can withstand rain/snow. Add a cheap tarp if needed.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom