New predator... It's on Jack!

Ok
1. Sorry about the loss from your flock. Bummer
2. It could have been a female looking to wean her young on chicken. If you kill it and it looks like it has been nursing kits, that probably is what it was. This is the start of weaning season and raccoon attacks go up exponentially in Spring for this reason.
3. Don't bury an electric wire. It becomes a ground wire. The higher the moisture level, the more degrading to the whole system.
4. Be lethal when it comes back. It will come back.

Ok
1. Sorry about the loss from your flock. Bummer
2. It could have been a female looking to wean her young on chicken. If you kill it and it looks like it has been nursing kits, that probably is what it was. This is the start of weaning season and raccoon attacks go up exponentially in Spring for this reason.
3. Don't bury an electric wire. It becomes a ground wire. The higher the moisture level, the more degrading to the whole system.
4. Be lethal when it comes back. It will come back.

The guy that does fencing in our area said he could run the bottom line to where it wouldn't ground or degrade. That was my initial thought about burying a wire, until he said that he's done it himself and he's not had anything dig all the way through in over 7 years. I'd always heard the same thing about electric fencing.
idunno.gif

How did it get past the electric fence? do yo have it at ground level 8" and again at 18" and the top? Kill it and keep it to yourself, no one has to know
We have it ground, then about 8 and 12, 18 and and 24" then top, still don't know how?? We moved one of the gamecamera to actually inside the run pointing to the corner of the coop that we know it came out of, so I'm hoping if it does try to get back in we can see exactly what night, what time and how it's getting in.

The guy that does fencing in our area said he could run the bottom line to where it wouldn't ground or degrade. That was my initial thought about burying a wire, until he said that he's done it himself and he's not had anything dig all the way through in over 7 years. I'd always heard the same thing about electric fencing.
idunno.gif
My directions for my solar fence say not to bury it.the hot lines need to be on insulated plastic holders. The other wire is a ground wire that goes to a metal rod in the ground. the electric fence works when an animal touches the wire the electric shock goes from them back to the ground and that is how the circuit is complete. I do not know about plug in fence but I do know Tractor Supply carries a Zebra fence tester that measures the strength of the system.

We don't have coons, but skunks ,they can get thru very small openings, so we have buried the heavy(2X4) wire fence under the ground AND then covered it in chicken wire.That was more cost effective than hardware cloth.I have BIG pens and 5 of them.

Quote:
The guy has been in the fencing business for over 30 years in our area and has probably run 50% of the electric livestock fences as a result that are in our county - I'm not suggesting that you don't know what you're talking about; I'm simply stating that the guy that gave us the original information, and will be repairing our own fence at the end of the month, says he's able to bury a hot line without it grounding. I don't know exactly how he does it, that's why we're hiring him. I can only hope it works and he's not leading us on, but I know of a few other farms out here that have had him run the same setup due to predators digging under their fences, even 4-5 feet down under barriers, to get in and attack their livestock. One man lost 4 lambs one year and he's not had any issue since he hired this fella to come run a buried hot line a couple of years ago. I can only hope!
bow.gif

The raccoon got past the fencing, so you may as well assume that there is a problem with the electric fence until you can prove otherwise through testing...have you touched it to see how well it works?
lau.gif
In high school, a buddy and I tested a cattle prod on each other.

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom