New predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ole rooster, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I finally have a predator problem. My coop is predator proof for whatever we have around here. But something is climbing the pen sides, 6 ft., and making a real mess with the feed. I feed outside so both feeder are hanging on light chain. I just got back from the local CVS to buy some strychnine. No luck but was told they could order it. Went to the local feed and seed and was told it is off the market and can't be bought. I'll find out a little later when the CVS is supposed to call.

I'll set a trap but have much rather poison it.

2. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    Sounds like a raccoon or opossum. I've had raccoons get into my feed a couple of times. I don't know what the laws are in your area, but where I'm at if you get caught putting out strychnine you can be arrested. If you put feed in the run and they scatter it around you could kill your own chickens. Traps may be your better option.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would set a trap.Poison can be good if you know what you are killing and can avoid other unwanted deaths.Good luck!

4. nthehunt

nthehunt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    just curious why would you rather use poison over trapping?

5. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I had rats get into my porch and attic and they climb anything! Try getting a sticky glue trap and putting it up where your chain is hanging from. I hated having to deal with the living rat stuck on the sheet, but after months of trying cayene pepper, oiling everything they climbed up, plugging up all the holes they'd found and made, and snap traps, the sticky traps are what finally solved the problem.

Other than that, I'd recommend getting a IR camera and recorder. You can find a small system for pretty cheap these days and it could pay for itself in the long run in what you save in lost feed and losses to your flock. It does help to know what you are dealing with!

You might also want to consider enclosing the top of your run. I know fencing is pricey, but you could try something like weed block fabric. Or Big Lots has tarps for pretty cheap that you could just staple on, but add a center bar to the structure that is a bit higher so rain runs off like a peaked roof.

Good luck!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any fence is no match for a raccoon. They can climb anything. That is why we never have feed outside.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    When I poison a predator I inject an egg with the strycknine mix in an egg and put it out. I've done this a few times and the possum never got out of the nest. It's not spread around. Just injected into an egg. Arrested? In todays America and with the laws we have not, so many minor things are cause for arrest. Yet we are a free people. I know so, I've been to so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by