New problem

LVVCHAP

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
PA
I don't remember of reading anything like this before on the board but today I had to take two hens out of the coop because the others were pecking at them. They had open wounds right behind their wings. Anyone know what would cause this or what to do to remedy the problem. I was told that once they start this the others will do the same thing. HELP!

Chickens have the rather disgusting habit of pecking each others' wounds. They will continue to pick and pick, making a small wound get even worse. The best thing to do is to isolate the injured birds from the flock and from each other until they are completely healed.

Last edited:
I agree with The Chicken Lady, They will pick each other to death if you aren't careful. It's like they can smell blood.
hmm.png

Hey I had a similar problem a while back....try something called Blu Kote. It's a spray antiseptic. It does turn them blue where you spray them but they also dont like the taste. Good luck!!!

Whatever the cause, you need to put a wound treatment on the birds. I think alot of people use the wonder dust or some product liek this. I use "rooster booster" which actually is a gel that repells the pecking of other chickens. I find it quite readily at my feed store, but I do not know about other places.

I feed them layer mash from the local feed mill. I will check withthem to see if they have anything to put on the wounds.

Sometimes they will start pecking at themselves when they have lice or mites, and cause a bald spot. Once the others see the bald spot, they join in the fun and it turns bad.

You may try treating for bugs...

Also over crowding and bright white light can cause it. Sometimes in an effort to get more eggs people will put lights in the coop, but if they get too much light and not enough exersize they can really stress out.

Back
Top Bottom