New pullet gasping for air

havalinaaa

Hatching
Aug 10, 2016
Red Rock, TX
Here's a video of exactly what she's doing -

I brought 9 new chickens home yesterday. They all seemed fine when I picked them up and when I put them in the "introduction" coop about 5 feet from my main chicken run. This morning I went to turn them loose in the big run while my other chickens free range and one of them appears to be gasping for air. She drank a small amount of water, or attempted to, but other than that she's just been sitting down and gasping. Her crop feels normal and I don't see anything in her mouth that looks unusual. Please help!

I know I should have quarantined them longer but the place I got them from seemed well run and all the birds looked healthy. They haven't actually been mixed with my existing flock but have been side by side with them in their run. How worried should I be about the existing flock?

Welcome to BYC.

How is she doing now?

It looks like she may be suffering from a respiratory illness. Any signs of nasal/eye discharge, coughing?

Separate her from the others and try to keep her hydrated. Offer wet food. You may need to consider antibiotic treatment depending on what it is.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It was an upper respiratory infection and despite my best efforts we lost three of the new birds to it. The person I bought them from contacted me and let me know his flock was on antibiotics, ours went on them as well but I think the high heat and stress from moving was too much coupled with the illness. Despite quarantining them after finding her this way a few of my birds developed symptoms as well but they've all fully recovered.

It was an upper respiratory infection and despite my best efforts we lost three of the new birds to it. The person I bought them from contacted me and let me know his flock was on antibiotics, ours went on them as well but I think the high heat and stress from moving was too much coupled with the illness. Despite quarantining them after finding her this way a few of my birds developed symptoms as well but they've all fully recovered.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom