New pullet seems sick but I can't figure out what's wrong--can you?

eggspletive!

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Welsummer pullet, about 3-1/2 months old, and seems too small for her age, but I don't know her weight. I just got her today.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
- Can stand and take a few steps, but is very reluctant to walk.
- I've had her in a dog crate for the last six hours or so and she hasn't pooped at all.
- Won't eat or drink.
- Is making a strange whining noise instead of normal hen sounds.
- Her breathing seems a bit labored.
- Just sits in the crate with her eyes closed.
- Has some kind of whitish flakes on her--they seem to be stuck to her feathers. Can't tell what it is. She's very dirty and smelly and I would never have taken her if I'd had an option (long story) but she's here now.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I've only had her since this morning, but she's been like this since I got her.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Not that I can see.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I have no idea.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Nothing. I dipped her beak several times in sugar water, offered her cooked egg yolk and Flock Raiser, but she won't take any of it.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

No poop at all.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I've tried to give her a couple of drops of Polyvisol by running it along her beak, and tried to get her to drink sugar water.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I'm not sure--depends on what I'm looking at, I suppose.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I don't.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Right now she's in a dog crate in my bathroom with a towel on the bottom. Prior to this she was evidently in a very mucky yard, as she is very dirty and smelly.

Firstly, give her a warm bath. Does it look like she has any parasites on here such as lice or mites? Try using dawn dish soap in the water and pouring it over her body. Let is sit of a second and see if there is any movement like bugs. Since she is so calm I bet it's going to be easy to give her a bath. Just make sure you rinse her with clean water after you use the dawn. Here is a link to a thread about washing your chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=154047

As for the other things I have no idea as of right now but I will try to do a little research for you.

Hope all is well!

wait a bit on bathing her...
1)Make sure she is in a temp stable and WARM place until she is drinking and eating properly.

2)She is more than likely dehydrated... Put electrolytes in her water and drizzle along beak (or dip beak in water) at regular intervals until she starts drinking on own. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AS DEHYDRATION WILL KILL THE BIRD QIOCKER THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

3) Cook up a wee bit of human oatmeal (in water > I just pop mine in the microwave for a minute or two) and add enough to the feed so it is clumpy but not so solid that the bird will really have to peck at it. This will aid in hydration. You can add a few tiny bits of tomatoe on the top (the red color will encourage pecking) > in addition to this offer a bit of LIVE-CULTURE yogurt free choice (non-flavored)

Only once the bird has started and maintained eating and drinking sufficiently would I give her a bath... she is obviously overstressed and as such cannot control her body temps (imperative thus for her to be kept in a warm environment and not to chill her further by bathing)

Last edited:
I'd guess she has mites or lice. You should probably bathe or dust her after following dlhunicorn's advice. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom