New Pullets and older Hens.....What would you do?

Loco Ken

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific NW
Here's the details in a nutshell:

Got the itch last fall and bought six new chicks.
I already had five laying hens that are basically pets now.
My plan was to butcher the older ones when the younger ones started to lay.
My wife wants to keep the older ones because they are friendlier but doesn't care either way.
The younger ones are now starting to lay and the older ones give me 1-2 eggs a day.
I can't decide. I'm torn between keeping the older ones or letting the younger ones grow and produce.
Not liking my decisions. Wish I never bought the younger ones now. *sigh*

What would you do?

Yes, but the younger ones are getting beat up a little by the older ones even after introducing them slowly. Two of the younger ones are missing feathers on the back of their tail from getting picked on by the "queen bee" from the younger group and are now getting picked on by the older ones too.

that happened to me and I built a separate coop. If you can't then I would either eat or give away the old ones and keep the new!
jumpy.gif

HOw long have you have the 2 groups together? THe more room to escape a dominating hen can ease the transition. Using several feeders and waterers allows nervous birds access to food/water if older hens are at the other feeder/waterer. Roosting space--they will group with their own.

THeir is no right answer here. If you want the egg production, then the younger birds; if you enjoy the older girls as pets, then the older birds. SPring is coming and egg production should pick up. Over the last couple weeks egg production has increase from 6 eggs a day to 12. Maybe your older girls will also pick up the pace.

GL

I have two year old hens with girls as young as 20 weeks. I have had older hens with pullets even 8 weeks old. They all find their balance eventually. Never had any huge issues. I would just monitor and keep them all. Especially since the older ones are pets.

Back
Top Bottom