New Pullets look pretty horrible

Agreed with above. Malnourished for sure, possibly over crowded. Bald heiney may be an indication of feather mites. I would give them a good dusting of permethrin, be sure to get it down to the skin. Treatment for internal parasites is optional. I would rather spend the money for a fecal float than to medicate them for a non existent parasite load. Put them on a high protein feed: either non medicated chick starter or multi flock (no more than 22% protein). You might even want to give them an extra poultry vitamin. Do not do the electrolyte packet mixes. THEY DON'T NEED electrolytes. Poultry Nutri Drench is a good vitamin for all ages, but there are others.

I understand what you are saying re: the concern about bringing unhealthy birds into your yard. They may come with "issues", and any malnourishment will surely affect them in the long term. On the other hand, they are already there. You've saved a lot of money on the front end, b/c you've not had to buy, brood or feed them. Any money spent on high quality feed, a can of permethrin, and a fecal float will all come out in the wash. You'd most likely be paying for all that stuff eventually, no matter where you get your birds from. It's amazing what good care will do for any animal that starts out in a neglectful situation. If you want to give them even more nutritional benefit, consider fermenting their feed. (there's an article in my signature about FF) When their run becomes void of greens, I recommend that you turn the run into a deep litter run. You can do a topic search for more info on that subject. Enjoy. I bet a few weeks of good care will result in a flock of birds that you can be proud of.

If the dust dosen't do it go with ivemectin, you can get a tiny bottle off ebay for less than ten dollars. It really does look like they've just been eating really badly and might have been in crowded or nasty conditions.

Are you referring to the pour on Ivemectin? I checked their stool as best I could and didn't see any obvious signs of worms, but I am barely a beginner when it comes to chickens. Not sure what I am looking for.

Yes i'm referring to pour on. I wouldn't use the injestable form,at least not until the nutritional issues are settled. Ebay is nice because you can purchase a tiny amount instead of a huge container which is what most brick and mortars carry.:)
Are you referring to the pour on Ivemectin? I checked their stool as best I could and didn't see any obvious signs of worms, but I am barely a beginner when it comes to chickens. Not sure what I am looking for.

I am also feeding them Dumor Grower/Finisher along with some scratch.
That feed is only 15% Protein.
20180129_095053.jpg
. I would feed a 18-20% Protein. Get a DuMOR 20% Chick Starter, or a Non-Medicated 18% Purina Start & Grow or Nutrena Naturewise Starter-Grower or a 20% Protein Flock Raiser.
I like the Nutrena Naturewise and Purina Premium feeds, because they have Probiotics, Prebiotics and Yeast. GC

Also, give them plenty of room. I assume they have been crowded and feather picking due to the crowding and malnourishment. Lots of room, good feed, and lots of activity will help to stop that habit. Give them some animal protein.

They have a 10x10 dog kennel for a run.
That feed is only 15% Protein.View attachment 1463893 . I would feed a 18 - 20% Protein. Get a DuMOR 20% Chick Starter, or a Non-Medicated 18% Purina Start & Grow or Nutrena Naturewise Starter - Grower or a 20% Protein Flock Raiser.
I like the Nutrena Naturewise and Purina Premium feeds, because they have Probiotics, Prebiotics and Yeast. GC

Will do. My wife will be in town today and I will have her stop by TSC and pick it up. Thanks.

It looks to me like they have not been fed properly and are feather picking for protein. Dust for mites, give them some electrolytes in their water (sugar works!) and give them some time with the good food.

You've got them there now and unfortunately any sickness and bugs they have are already in the soil/coop.

They don't actually look too bad IMO. I bet in a month you will have some nice looking pullets!

They peck each other like that when they are crowded or having to complete for food. I would bath them and powder them for mites when they are totally dry. I use an old baby power bottle for dusting. Though patting the chicken down with an old nylon sock filled with Sevin works pretty well. Put some mite dust under the nest box bedding and some wood ash in the areas they are using for dusting.

I would scramble them some eggs mix with yogurt and their regular feed to boost protein for a few days at least. Active culture yogurt is good for their guts. Good luck.

Post some pics so we can see how bad we are talking.

Unfortunately, even if you can get rid mite or lice the issue is now you may have respiratory or Marek's at your place that new birds may have to deal with... :barnie

Their poor quality could be from cruddy feed... :fl
And also most likely from poor care and neglect!

Back
Top Bottom