New Pullets To My Flock

Darrelh

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2023
Need advice!! I have two hens (Ester & Ruth) and they are just over 5 months old. I have just gotten two new pullets (June & Dotty, they are 4 months old. I put the two new ones in a pen next to the main coop/run for a few days. I then put the new ones in with the older hens. Ruth did peck the new ones and chased them into the coop. Ruth will not let them come out of the coop, so I put a small pen inside the run and I put the two new one in there during the day and let them out to roost in the coop at night. The only time Ruth will peck at the new ones is when the new ones get on the top roosting bar. Ruth will chase them off. Am I doing the right thing by putting the new ones in the pen inside the run during the day?
Ester is Partridge Plymouth Rock
Ruth is Easter Egger
June is Ayam Cemani
Dotty is Sicilian Buttercup

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC Darrel.

Yes this is normal pecking order behaviour.

Another option for locking the pullets in a pen is (if possible) to make a ‘escaping from the bullies’ pen/place. You need to make a few small openings in the escape pen/place where only the new pullets can go through. And provide food and water inside as long as they need the hiding place.

Need advice!! I have two hens (Ester & Ruth) and they are just over 5 months old. I have just gotten two new pullets (June & Dotty, they are 4 months old. I put the two new ones in a pen next to the main coop/run for a few days. I then put the new ones in with the older hens. Ruth did peck the new ones and chased them into the coop. Ruth will not let them come out of the coop, so I put a small pen inside the run and I put the two new one in there during the day and let them out to roost in the coop at night. The only time Ruth will peck at the new ones is when the new ones get on the top roosting bar. Ruth will chase them off. Am I doing the right thing by putting the new ones in the pen inside the run during the day?
Ester is Partridge Plymouth Rock
Ruth is Easter Egger
June is Ayam Cemani
Dotty is Sicilian Buttercup
If Ruth doesn't seem to calm down in a week or two, or if she seems overly aggressive you could also put her in the enclosure where everyone can see her for a couple days, too. That usually helps, but hopefully it will blow over soon enough.

If Ruth doesn't seem to calm down in a week or two, or if she seems overly aggressive you could also put her in the enclosure where everyone can see her for a couple days, too. That usually helps, but hopefully it will blow over soon enough.
By herself, not with the other introductions. That didn't sound clear when I re-read it.

Back
Top Bottom