New Pullets with older hens

How big are your facilities and what do they look like. Photos could help us understand, especially if you give us size in feet or meters. How much room you have to work with and how it is arranged is important information for us to give you specific suggestions.

How many 3-year-olds do you have. Your three 6-week-olds can probably go outside without any supplemental heat but knowing your general location so we understand climate could be good information. What breeds are they? I'm more interested in size than actual breed but sometimes that information can help. Helping us to know what you are working with will help us know what to suggest.

Many of us integrate chicks younger than 6 weeks old all the time without any real problems. With others it could be a disaster. Usually the more room you have the easier it is.

In general I'll suggest you house the chicks where they can see the older chickens and the older ones can see them but they are kept separate by fencing. How to do this and how long will depend on what your facilities look like. I might suggest the safe haven/panic room concept, especially if room is tight unless the adults are bantam and the young ones are not. Then you would not have the size difference needed.

It is probably a good idea for the chicks to sleep separately from the adults for a while. How long will depend on how much room you have in the main coop. Mine are sleeping in the main coop with the adults by 5 weeks. Not on the roosts with the adults but in the same room. But my brooder is in the coop so they are raised together plus I have a lot of room in the main coop. Most people don't do that. Some people have trouble with the pullets sleeping in the main coop until the pullets start to lay.

We all have different facilities, different flocks, different management techniques, different climates, different experiences, just everything is different. What works well for one person may be a disaster for someone else. I don't know what to suggest for you because I don't know what you are working with.

The general suggestions are to let them get to know each other before they can get to each other, give them as much room as you can, provide multiple food and water stations so they can all eat without having to eat together, and provide places for them to hide from the older ones.

I know it is nerve-wracking if you haven't done this before. But people successfully do this all the time, you can too. I just don't know what specific things to suggest.

Back
Top Bottom