Trying to Rebuild my coop

ColetasticChickens

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2019
I’ve browsed google and thought up this. Any opinions?
1120CC91-51C4-42BF-B84C-94C312981410.jpeg

View attachment 1656477 So I’m trying to make a my run a coop this is what the run looks like
nice run! What will you do for a run after? My opinion is that it would be better, and quite possibly easier to just start from scratch or buy a pre -fab shed. As far as turning this into a coop, I am not an expert. Maybe it would all have to be green house material? (The hard plastic roofing like stuff [for no better words]) @aart?

I have a run that I’m adding on to

Ok. So, you plan to build an enclosed coop structure onto one end of the current outdoor run.

Providing your general location will help to get better information. A keeper in South Texas has different concerns than someone in Northern MN (currently forecast to be at -40F not counting wind chill this week).

Ok. So, you plan to build an enclosed coop structure onto one end of the current outdoor run.

Providing your general location will help to get better information. A keeper in South Texas has different concerns than someone in Northern MN (currently forecast to be at -40F not counting wind chill this week).
I live in Smithsburg, Maryland and we don’t have a problem with cold weather it’s not like -40 but it can be cold in the winter and hot in the summer but that’s because I live in the mid-Atlantic area

I live in Smithsburg, Maryland and we don’t have a problem with cold weather it’s not like -40 but it can be cold in the winter and hot in the summer but that’s because I live in the mid-Atlantic area

Ok. I’m familiar with that area, as I grew up in the mid-Atlantic area. So, heat and high humidity in the summer. Although pretty humid overall throughout the year. Make sure you have a lot of ventilation in whatever structure you build. Generally 1sqft of coop ventilation per bird is a a great place to start. However, the birds need to be draft free, so this ventilationshould be a couple of feet above any roost bars.

You get snow, sometime a lot in the winter. But temps not too extreme. So, a wind/snow barrier (like plastic sheeting) could be used in winter on one or two sides of the run.

Will you be buying a pre-fab or constructing your own?

How many chickens do you have and how old are they?

Back
Top Bottom