Trying to Rebuild my coop

Ok. I’m familiar with that area, as I grew up in the mid-Atlantic area. So, heat and high humidity in the summer. Although pretty humid overall throughout the year. Make sure you have a lot of ventilation in whatever structure you build. Generally 1sqft of coop ventilation per bird is a a great place to start. However, the birds need to be draft free, so this ventilationshould be a couple of feet above any roost bars.

You get snow, sometime a lot in the winter. But temps not too extreme. So, a wind/snow barrier (like plastic sheeting) could be used in winter on one or two sides of the run.

Will you be buying a pre-fab or constructing your own?

How many chickens do you have and how old are they?
I’m building my own coop, and I’m planning to have 6-12 RIRs I have 3 rare breeds that won’t lay

040B6D28-305E-43A7-815D-CD887801D673.jpeg
Ok. I’m familiar with that area, as I grew up in the mid-Atlantic area. So, heat and high humidity in the summer. Although pretty humid overall throughout the year. Make sure you have a lot of ventilation in whatever structure you build. Generally 1sqft of coop ventilation per bird is a a great place to start. However, the birds need to be draft free, so this ventilationshould be a couple of feet above any roost bars.

You get snow, sometime a lot in the winter. But temps not too extreme. So, a wind/snow barrier (like plastic sheeting) could be used in winter on one or two sides of the run.

Will you be buying a pre-fab or constructing your own?

How many chickens do you have and how old are they?
I want the interior to have this:

Looks good! With your proposed number of chickens being up to 15 (12 RIR + 3 rare breeds), you may need to think about your roost bar length or having more than 1 roost bar. In addition, I see that the window they propose in the picture is right at roost level. Ventilation is great, but needs to be where the birds will not be in a draft. Also, many people on BYC recommend having nesting boxes lower than the roost bar. Chickens like to roost at the highest spot and will do so on the next boxes if they are the highest (leading to poopy eggs). My nest boxes are at floor level, but I have a ladder-style roost, so the floor is the only thing lower than the lowest roost bar.

Have you looked at the articles area on BYC? there is an area for coop builds, and you can see a wide variety of coops people have built.

Good Luck!

Looks good! With your proposed number of chickens being up to 15 (12 RIR + 3 rare breeds), you may need to think about your roost bar length or having more than 1 roost bar. In addition, I see that the window they propose in the picture is right at roost level. Ventilation is great, but needs to be where the birds will not be in a draft. Also, many people on BYC recommend having nesting boxes lower than the roost bar. Chickens like to roost at the highest spot and will do so on the next boxes if they are the highest (leading to poopy eggs). My nest boxes are at floor level, but I have a ladder-style roost, so the floor is the only thing lower than the lowest roost bar.

Have you looked at the articles area on BYC? there is an area for coop builds, and you can see a wide variety of coops people have built.

Good Luck!
I’d have it 15 ft. off the ground

View attachment 1656477 So I’m trying to make a my run a coop this is what the run looks like

If I look at your run and the sketch you made above it seems to show a run very similar (smaller?) to what you have?

I do a bit of building (sheds, docks, garages, etc.) and suggest leaving the run as it is and building a new coop off the back or at 90 degrees to it (ie as is shown in your sketch).

Open the run as needed ONLY to allow ingress/egress to the new coop. Modifying the run beyond this is going ADD work that is not needed as it will need to be reinforced to support walls/roof else it will be a compromise to the coop structure.

Last edited:
If I look at your run and the sketch you made above it seems to show a run very similar (smaller?) to what you have?

I do a bit of building (sheds, docks, garages, etc.) and suggest leaving the run as it is and building a new coop off the back or at 90 degrees to it (ie as is shown in your sketch).

Open the run as needed ONLY to allow ingress/egress to the new coop. Modifying the run beyond this is going ADD work that is not needed as it will need to be reinforced to support walls/roof else it will be a compromise to the coop structure.
You had a point, what if I kept the run, and added on it (with a coop) but I’m on a budget though bc I’ve already spent about $1,100 USD on 3 non-laying hens

Back
Top Bottom