New question about pasty butt

dovecanyon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Weaverville, CA
Of my three 1-week-old chicks, only one of them gets pasty butt. I have to soak and clean her off every other day. Is there something I need to do different for her, vitamins or something? The other two never get it. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a vitamin depletion thing, I wonder if it's just about the way she sits or something. It's always so random how one chick will have this problem while the others don't. Maybe someone else has better advice!

Someone had recommended a clump of grass, roots, dirt and all will help clear up pasty butt.

I tried it this week with my 25 Rainbow pullets from MPC I got on 10/19. Three had pasty butt, I cleaned them with warm water and let them eat a clump of grass. They all enjoyed it and no more pasty butt.

I've heard other's say apple sauce or yogurt will also help, but I haven't tried those yet.

Good luck.

One thing that really helped mine was I VERY carefully trimmed the "fur" that the poo was always getting stuck to. I just trimmed all around and just below the vent area (using small fingernail scissors with rounded tips). It helped a lot because there was less for the poo to cling to and block the vent.

I'm not sure about nutrition issues, but I have seen some on here say that they grinded the chick feed down more powder-like in a blender and that helped with the pasty butt, maybe one of them will respond with more info on that.

Hope this helps!

Is it ok to give yogurt or ACV to all of the chicks even though only one of them is getting pasty butt? Or do I need to feed the one separately?

All may drink to their hearts content. I use the ACV in the little (one quart) chick waterers you get at the local feed store with the small base (so they do not drowned themselves) until they are pass the pasty butt stage. They will eventually feather out and the PB will go away.

Just a small amount in each refill though. Also some lay claim to putting molasses in the water for a few days. I have tried both, but the acv is good enough.

STOP WITH THE GUESSES!!!!

take the poopy bottomed bird and with a q-tip with vaslene on it, rub it around the vent. then blowdry.

That will take it away for good!!!!!

_ _
born2Bwild

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 :

STOP WITH THE GUESSES!!!!

take the poopy bottomed bird and with a q-tip with vaslene on it, rub it around the vent. then blowdry.

That will take it away for good!!!!!

_ _
born2Bwild

I clean mine very well with a washcloth and warm water and then spray the vent area with pure oil cooking spray...works like a CHARM!!​

Quote:
Yeah, I really dig the long-term marinade, too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom