New Rabbit babies not warm enough

If you feel that they cannot stay warm enough, you may consider keeping the litter inside and taking them out to the doe about twice a day at least until their eyes are open or a few days afterward. About that time they usually have enough fur and mobility to huddle together for warmth, possibly bringing them in on colder nights, if necessary.

This is what I do. I take the nest box and all in, and keep them in my hall closet. When I take the babies out to their mothers, most of my does jump in the box as soon as I put it in the cage with them. I then busy myself nearby until I see that the doe is done nursing and has left the box, at which time I take the box back in the house.

OK, I can try that. What about dryer lint, would that help?
Should I put wood shavings under the straw too?

And do the Does ever add more fur to the nest or is it a one time thing?

Last edited:
I personally would not use dryer lint. The kits begin nibbling on nest material at some point and I think that ingesting lint would not be a good thing.

Does may add more fur. Mine have at times.

Sometimes, when I have had large kindles with my NZWs, I have separated the larger kits from the nest for 12 hours so the smaller ones can get more nourishing milk from their mother. When I do that I bring the large ones inside and place them on tanned hides with some hay or straw. I always have a few rabbit hides on hand just for that purpose.

UPDATE:
As a first time mom, she is lousy at covering them up. So, I cover them back up with straw and fur in the morning and at night after the feedings. They seem to be doing well.

We caught a break and the weather here in Boston has been in the 40's and low 50's which is unseasonably warm for February.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and fast response.

While I have seen a doe pull more fur after the kits were born, particularly if it is really cold, I do not think I have ever seen my does cover the kits after nursing. They are usually exposed when she leaves them, but they move around which pulls the fur in the nest around them, if there is enough fur in the nest. Even when I uncover the kits, they usually move around, which results it them covering themselves, while I am trying to inspect them.

Back
Top Bottom