New Rabbit babies not warm enough

KHoward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Boston
Hi,

I had a doe kindle last night and she made a decent nest but the babies were not really covered and close to death (it's 24 out right now). In an effort to save the 10 kits, I put them in the incubator to get their body temps up. Which seems to be working for 8 of 10.

My question is: Now what? I don't have another doe to put them with and I do not have the time/availability to hand feed them.

Thanks!

If you feel that they cannot stay warm enough, you may consider keeping the litter inside and taking them out to the doe about twice a day at least until their eyes are open or a few days afterward. About that time they usually have enough fur and mobility to huddle together for warmth, possibly bringing them in on colder nights, if necessary.

This is what I do. I take the nest box and all in, and keep them in my hall closet. When I take the babies out to their mothers, most of my does jump in the box as soon as I put it in the cage with them. I then busy myself nearby until I see that the doe is done nursing and has left the box, at which time I take the box back in the house.

It sounds like the real problem is keeping them warm and the doe will feed them when you return them to her. If you feel that they cannot stay warm enough, you may consider keeping the kindle inside and taking them out to the doe about twice a day at least until their eyes are open or a few days afterward. About that time they usually have enough fur and mobility to huddle together for warmth, possibly bringing them in on colder nights, if necessary. This is far less labor intensive than hand feeding them all and it sounds that feeding them probably would not be necessary.

I use warming pads in my cages and under nesting boxes, even though I am in the Southeast where winters are less severe and shorter, but this winter has been hard even on us. Some people just do not breed rabbits in the winter.

I personally would not use dryer lint. The kits begin nibbling on nest material at some point and I think that ingesting lint would not be a good thing.

Does may add more fur. Mine have at times.

Sometimes, when I have had large kindles with my NZWs, I have separated the larger kits from the nest for 12 hours so the smaller ones can get more nourishing milk from their mother. When I do that I bring the large ones inside and place them on tanned hides with some hay or straw. I always have a few rabbit hides on hand just for that purpose.

UPDATE:
As a first time mom, she is lousy at covering them up. So, I cover them back up with straw and fur in the morning and at night after the feedings. They seem to be doing well.

We caught a break and the weather here in Boston has been in the 40's and low 50's which is unseasonably warm for February.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and fast response.

There is one more black kit buried underneath the pile, where it's warm :)
We went from 40's and 50's this week to a snowstorm last night and Mama pulled more fur for them again.

4 x white and 2 x black (out of 6 white and 3 black) from a black NZ Doe and Cal buck with recessive blue genes.
upload_2018-2-18_11-48-12.png

Last edited:
My garage isn't heated so I don't know if that would help.

They are now up to temp and full of life. I lost 3.

I pulled as much fur from the nesting box as I could to put it on them. The nesting box is in the house right now but I will need to put it outside at some point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom