New rescued ducks. Need advice

Sep 3, 2021
East TN
So my friend whom lives in apartments has a son that loves farm life and he continues to purchase chickens, ducks, once a pig, etc. He always finds them a home since my friend has to tell him no. His last purchase was 12 chicks and 6 ducklings. He found them a home but they were not providing properly for the ducks and all but 2 have died. My friend has asked if the 2 remaining ducks can come to my farm and of course I said yes. Well it has been a while since I have had ducks and these 2 look very bad, I think. I know they were never provided more then a water dish and chicken food. I found out a few days ago they would be coming and I purchased flock feeder not knowing they were still young so I have mixed the flock feed and chick grower together. I have provided them with a large kiddie pool and they now seem to be grooming. They are Pekin and very dirty so I am hoping the pool helps them get clean. Both seem to have many bare area on their back, I don't remember if this is normal. Honestly any help I can get on getting them in better shape I will happily take. I am considering adding niacin powder to their feed since their legs seem slightly weak but I think they were housed in a dog house and not allowed to walk much. Please any suggestions on getting them back on track to being happy and healthy I will gladly take. 20211023_151946.jpg 20211023_152050.jpg 20211023_152854.jpg

Bless you for taking them in. They have been through lot in their short lives.. But you are on the right track to getting them going in the right direction. Flock raiser or all flock feed is fine for them or mixing like you said. I would get Liquid B complex for their legs. It works faster and helps better than just niacin by itself. TSC carries one called Durvet
https://store.fullersupply.co/img/p...jpg?fv=2CBB9CD563D63D53D16DD9C77C371381-31953. Many of us have used it with great success.
With your care I am betting they will be beautiful and healthy in no time.
The best way to give the liquid B complex is over a tasty treat. mealworms work well, smashed peas etc. putting any in water is just going to weaken it. You want each duck to get 1ml of Liquid B complex daily.
Please keep us updated on how they are doing.
:welcome

Last edited:
Bless you for taking them in. They have been through lot in their short lives.. But you are on the right track to getting them going in the right direction. Flock raiser or all flock feed is fone for them or mixing like you said. I would get Liquid B complex for their legs. It works faster and helps better than just niacin by itself. TSC carries one called Duvet
https://store.fullersupply.co/img/p...jpg?fv=2CBB9CD563D63D53D16DD9C77C371381-31953. Many of us have used it with great sucess.
The best way to give the liquid B complex is over a tasty treat. mealworms work we'' smashed peas etc. putting any in water is just going to weaken it. You want each duck to get 1ml of Liquid B complex daily.

20211023_161737.jpg
Thank you so much
Is this what you are referring to? Or is there an oral solution? We keep this on hand for our goats

Bless you for taking them in. They have been through lot in their short lives.. But you are on the right track to getting them going in the right direction. Flock raiser or all flock feed is fone for them or mixing like you said. I would get Liquid B complex for their legs. It works faster and helps better than just niacin by itself. TSC carries one called Duvet
https://store.fullersupply.co/img/p...jpg?fv=2CBB9CD563D63D53D16DD9C77C371381-31953. Many of us have used it with great sucess.
The best way to give the liquid B complex is over a tasty treat. mealworms work we'' smashed peas etc. putting any in water is just going to weaken it. You want each duck to get 1ml of Liquid B complex daily.
Never mind I see the link. That is great we already have it on hand. I am going to try to give it to them now 😉 Thank you again

Yes he knows he is welcome to visit whenever he can but they are 2 counties away and he does not drive yet so he can only get here when his Mom can drive him. He comes any time he can since we have goats, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. He loves to help with everything. ❤

Thank you for taking them in. Poor things. Please keep us up-dated.
It sounds like the son would really like to have farm animals but obviously can't in an apartment. Any chance you could involved him in their care now?

I found out more about them last night. I was running errands when she dropped them off, since my friend did not arrange a time. My kids were home and got them settled before I got home. I thought she said dog house but my friend told me last night that they lived in a wire dog crate and were not allowed out, poor things. They both are looking better already and were excited when I went out to let them out this morning. I believe they are a drake and a hen as one is quaking and the other is squeaking and I think the drakes tail feathers are slightly curled. I'll get pics when I go back out. Thank you everyone so far for your words of encouragement 😊

Back
Top Bottom