new research debunks trad views on nutrition

The biggest difference lies in the style of feeding horses vs chickens. If you gave most any animal free choice big bins of various foods to choose from, a large portion of them would most likely eat themselves to obesity and death, just as many humans do. And we supposedly "know better" too.
You arent joking...but my birdsdont really eat dried mealworms or boss..they will eat a few shelled sunflower seeds..but thats why i feed a complete feed. So they cant find one or 2 things they like and not ha
Ve a balanced diet..

The quick, voice to text, answer is that you seem to be thinking of all ingredients as if they were the same. Green growing things generally are not nutrient dense, particularly in protein. That's why grazing animals need to eat a lot of them. But even within green growing things, the nutrition is not evenly distributed. Most of the nutrition in a plant is concentrated in the next generation. That's that's why our feed and feeds for many grazers are generally made with seeds and Grains, not the stems and leaves. Grass clippings are basically high fiber High bulk low nutrition ingredient. Fine for goats and cows and other ruminants. Not nearly so useful for chickens. Completely different digestive system. And that's before getting into discussion of how not all proteins are the same, particularly plant proteins. Ask any healthy vegetarian you might know.
Ok that I can understand better. Thank you.

Horses are looking for ways to suicide, and overeating is high on their list! Cattle can bloat in the right circumstances too.
We unfortunately lost two goats to bloat over the years. One managed to get into the steer's field and gorged itself on all stock and another found a bucket of apples someone accidentally left in the barn. :(

We unfortunately lost two goats to bloat over the years. One managed to get into the steer's field and gorged itself on all stock and another found a bucket of apples someone accidentally left in the barn. :(
Do you offer baking soda? That has saved goats lives when bloat is caught in time. It helps them to burp up the gas that had built up. I know some breeders who leave it out 24/7 so the goats can get it if/when needed and others who drench with it.

Do you offer baking soda? That has saved goats lives when bloat is caught in time. It helps them to burp up the gas that had built up. I know some breeders who leave it out 24/7 so the goats can get it if/when needed and others who drench with it.
I was unaware of this trick. Thank you for sharing. I don't know nearly as much about my goats as I probably should, though they are fed largely on browse from my Acres which should help reduce risk. I keep mineral around for them all the time, because we have low copper available otherwise. But I only feed them once daily in limited quantity.

Back
Top Bottom