new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
I'm in the Wiregrass (the picture of brown dried grasses? that's my IMPROVED yard) - its much the same, only the southwestern end of the swath described as the Sandhills to the North and East. Of course, we don't have hills - so we get a different name.

The soils here pack so hard I have to use a pick to break them before I can turn the top couple inches - and its still like putting a cultivator in a wheelbarrow full of concrete spoils.

Yes, fire is the natural way to replenish the soils - but like burning acres in the rain forest, you get one, maybe two good seasons, then the ground is useless again. What nutrient is deposited by the fast growth plants (sand pines, youpon holly, etc) is either spent or washed away.

and like my northern neighbors, no worms, almost no grubs. grasshoppers seasonally, termites, and the ants that eat said termites. Which is part of why I can't rely on abundant insects to suppliment my flock's diet - too much of the year they are simply inaccessable. Termite spawns and grasshopper explosions are the rare exception - and then its like kids at the softserve machine...

I'm in the Wiregrass (the picture of brown dried grasses? that's my IMPROVED yard) - its much the same, only the southwestern end of the swath described as the Sandhills to the North and East. Of course, we don't have hills - so we get a different name.

The soils here pack so hard I have to use a pick to break them before I can turn the top couple inches - and its still like putting a cultivator in a wheelbarrow full of concrete spoils.

Yes, fire is the natural way to replenish the soils - but like burning acres in the rain forest, you get one, maybe two good seasons, then the ground is useless again. What nutrient is deposited by the fast growth plants (sand pines, youpon holly, etc) is either spent or washed away.

and like my northern neighbors, no worms, almost no grubs. grasshoppers seasonally, termites, and the ants that eat said termites. Which is part of why I can't rely on abundant insects to suppliment my flock's diet - too much of the year they are simply inaccessable. Termite spawns and grasshopper explosions are the rare exception - and then its like kids at the softserve machine...

Being even hotter and wetter, I expect that organic material burns out of your soil even faster than from mine.

The best way to think of this kind of geology is that it's a fossilized beach dune -- which is an oversimplified version of the reality. :D

At current prices, the poultry industry cannot be profitable without intensive practices. If govement mandated extensive practices then most consumers could no longer afford to eat chicken. It took a long time to put "a chicken in every pot" (per Henry IV of France in 1598 and then Herbert Hoover in 1928) and it would all be undone overnight.
It would be fabulous if people start to eat way less factory farm meat and eat only once a week more expensive meat from extensive hold animals that do have a proper life. (Imho)

….

True, battery layers are not kept in the sort of lovely conditions that we backyarders aspire to, but if they aren't sufficiently well-kept to be healthy then they don't lay and thus the farmer goes broke. The farmers are neither evil nor stupid.

As for the Cornish X meatbirds, they're babies in gigantic brooders. We've all seen people here on these forums still keeping their 6-8 week chicks in tiny plastic tubs in significantly worse conditions than the careful environmental control in one of my region's giant broiler houses.

There is no other farm animal that even comes close to the feed conversion ratio of a modern Cornish X broiler. That's an indisputable fact. There is some thought that fish farming might compete with that efficiency, but the fish require higher protein feed than the chickens do. Here's one summary: https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2018/f...ently-using-alternate-feed-efficiency-measure

Those who are trying to force the demise of what they label "factory farms" are indeed trying to rob low income people of food. On forums more suited to debate and political argument I have often challenged them to, if they wish to rob me of my affordable food, instead *personally* pay my family's grocery bills and none have ever chosen to do so. :)
Sorry @3KillerBs but I completely disagree.
Imho its soo sad that some people descibe the horrible circumstances these chickens live in as not so lovely.
Farmers have been breeding chickens for over decades (almost a century ) to increase production. The genes of the ones that did’t survive (survival of the fittest) in these horrible circumstances are not the genes that continue in the breeding lines today.

There are many things going on in factory farming that really are disgusting.
I made my conclusions seeing and knowing probably more than many people who buy cheap eggs. I try to be friendly. But telling the chickens in factory farms have a not so lovely life is the same as telling life in concentration camps isn’t dreadful.

Btw: Humans don’t need meat to have a good life. And we certainly don’t need broiler meat from factory farming.

Imho its soo sad that some people descibe the horrible circumstances these chickens live in as not so lovely.
Farmers have been breeding chickens for over decades (almost a century ) to increase production. The genes of the ones that did’t survive (survival of the fittest) in these horrible circumstances are not the genes that continue in the breeding lines today.

I made my conclusions seeing and knowing probably more than many people who buy cheap eggs. I try to be friendly. But telling the chickens in factory farms have a not so lovely life is the same as telling life in concentration camps isn’t dreadful.

Btw: Humans don’t need meat to have a good life. And we certainly don’t need broiler meat from factory farming.

Animals are not human. To compare them to victims of concentration camps is incredibly insulting and demeaning to real human victims of tyranny and atrocity.

It's immoral to tell poor people that they should not be allowed to eat well because you want to equate livestock to humans.

I have nothing against people who choose for themselves to avoid meat from so-called "factory farms" and want to either pay more for their food out of their own pocket or eat lower-grade protein themselves. If you want to pay more money to eat meat only once a week then you have the right to make that decision for yourself and to back it up with your own money.

But it's wrong to advocate taking the food out of poor kids' mouths in order to satisfy sentiment. :(

Animals are not human.
13811-b8bf2b7034744e246c9fb291e2f7f816.gif

But humans are animals.
I think I'm going to have to leave this thread. Too much church stuff, politics and ignorance.
Before I go...
This looks like abuse to me.
194605405_4386725408006830_2100462434642858110_n.jpg

While i do agree that animals are thoughtful and deserve a good life, please don’t compare them to human suffering like this. It‘s insulting to those who have been through it.

I completely agree, people *can* be very cruel, however, that does not mean comparing to such is okay to do! I am very sympathetic towards animals, i love them with all my heart and would do anything to insure they have a lovely life, but if other people think that won’t work for them, or think differently, theres nothing i can do about it but to spread awareness in a polite manner. I hope this comes off nicely and not rude because that’s not my intention.

Back
Top Bottom