new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
I'm not sure anyone is making the assertion that they are.
indeed, I don't think anyone is either. But what I do notice is an absence of effort to identify real sources of whatever is thought could be deficient in the diet, and instead an immediate grab for the poultry equivalent of a bottle or three of supplement pills.

. So many regulations would be put in place that we'd end up with basically what we have now.

Actually that was the whole point of the study, to end up with something similar to what we have now, only using different sources for the ingredients. Point being they would hope to reduce food waste, lower the carbon footprint and free up more resources for human consumption.

I don't get all the venom directed at commercial feeds. Quadrillions of bags of animal feed have been produced and successfully raised untold numbers of animals over the years. Pets and livestock are far better off now than they were when people just tossed them whatever happened to be leftover from dinner or nothing when times were tight.

Yes, fresh is obviously better than cooked, extruded and dried and if one has the knowledge, time and the money I think it's great to feed your animals fresh foods. I try to do so as much as possible as well, but I also recognize that's a luxury that many other people in the world cannot afford. Some people aren't sure where their own next good meal is coming from. That they can buy a comparatively cheap sack of food to feed some BYCs and have fresh eggs and meat to eat is a blessing.

It would unfortunately have to come directly from the producers or manufacturers, due to the possibility of tampering.

If this were cost-effective then it would already be happening since the conglomerates with both human and animal divisions would be eager to harvest the benefits and would have the economy of scale to work with.

Yep, you'd have to have a system in place where the food waste was picked up daily and delivered directly to the processing plant and then processed in a timely manner. It could be done but the logistics of it all would be difficult.

I doubt it could even be done at all.

To take my job in the deli as an example,

The first thing I will do tomorrow morning when I get in is check dates on the lunchmeat and cheese. I will pull out the ones that marked for that day and set them aside in a particular place on the counter -- still in all their wrappings, both the manufacturer's plastic wrap and our cling wrap, and with their adhesive paper tags.

I and others will also go through the items on the shelves and pull dates for sandwiches, deli salads, cheese trays, etc. and put them into a cart, again still in all their wrappings, that will be shoved into a corner until someone has time to deal with them.

I will then do other prep tasks for the day that are more urgent than scanning out unsalable meat and cheese -- cleaning, filling personal shopper orders, making party trays, etc. Eventually I'll weigh that stuff out and toss it into the trash with all the other trash.

During the day waste meat and cheese accumulates in a bucket next to the slicer, to be weighed out at the end of the day. Some of that meat will have been there in that bucket on the counter from as early as 6 am all the way up to 9pm.

During the day we will also peel and/or seed fruits and vegetables for various reasons, discard the heel ends of bread, drop random bits of stuff on the floor, etc. It all goes in the same trash. Even if we tried to separate it, there are still plastic adhesive labels on the fruit peels, and it would be a massive waste of time and effort for me to take my piece of parchment paper that I've used as a clean worksurface to prepare your pinwheel tray over to one can, shake the trimmings into that can, and then put the paper and my dirty gloves into a different can.

Real world, I scoop up everything inside the paper, trash it, dump my used gloves after it, and move immediately to my next task. I'm paid to make salable products and serve customers, not to sort trash. 🤣

To get all the waste from just the fresh foods department -- Produce, Deli, Bakery, and Meat -- you'd probably need at least two additional employees daily who did nothing but collect waste and they'd have to be ready to swoop in behind me and get those pinwheel trimmings before I bundled them out of the way so it wouldn't interfere with production.

I made friends with one of the ladies, whose Dad owns the supermarket I shop at. She has no problem giving me veggies that no one will buy anymore because they are iffy looking.

This is something that can be done on a very small scale in a high-trust community. It's quite impossible on a large scale.

The nature of human nature is that the worst employee makes the rules for everyone else. If we opened up the door for people to take the discards there would certainly be dishonest employees creating extra discards by falsifying dates so that they could sell them out the back door.

And someone would fake getting sick and sue the company for "allowing" an employee to engage in that dishonest practice. :(

I doubt it could even be done at all.
I thought so too, but it looks like they are going to give it a try!

" The partnership estimates that waste-based feed will become globally available in more than 20 countries. Chief executive officer of Food Recycle Ltd., Norm Boyle, shared the news: “We anticipate that within five years, recycled food waste feed will be the go-to solution globally for the poultry, pig, and aquaculture industries."

RESEARCHERS DISCOVER NEW METHOD FOR FEEDING CHICKENS THAT COULD TRANSFORM THE POULTRY INDUSTRY: ‘[A] GO-TO SOLUTION GLOBALLY’

Yeah, I can't see how large scale waste to feed operations are going to work in real world settings. For those who are in position to work with a local market or restaurant owner, that's a terrific, but somewhat unique situation.

I've also read a story or two about someone who feeds their flock by dumpster diving, but that's not an option that appeals to me.

What I can do is to be thoughtful about my own food waste. There is a lot that we as consumers throw away that can be repurposed into animal feed with a little effort and planning. And it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. Some commercial feed, and some fresh/food waste.

There is that one guy... (With the you tube videos, who feeds his whole (sizeable) flock on restaurant waste)

Buried below the lede? He runs a commercial garbage collection company, is fully permitted, and has acres and acres and acres dedicated to composting restaurant refuse.

Most of us can't do this. Nor would we want to.

1688750249600.png

I thought so too, but it looks like they are going to give it a try!

" The partnership estimates that waste-based feed will become globally available in more than 20 countries. Chief executive officer of Food Recycle Ltd., Norm Boyle, shared the news: “We anticipate that within five years, recycled food waste feed will be the go-to solution globally for the poultry, pig, and aquaculture industries."

RESEARCHERS DISCOVER NEW METHOD FOR FEEDING CHICKENS THAT COULD TRANSFORM THE POULTRY INDUSTRY: ‘[A] GO-TO SOLUTION GLOBALLY’

I'll believe it when I see it.

Lots and lots of ideas that sound good end up wrecking on the reefs of reality.

I'd like to know *EXACTLY* how they plan on separating food from wrappers and random miscellaneous garbage that gets dropped into the wrong bin. I know that if I tossed a set of gloves at the bins with a lineup of customers at the counter I wouldn't be likely to notice if they bounced into the food bin, wouldn't care if I did notice, and wouldn't waste time trying to fish them out later.

Seriously. We don't pick dropped gloves or other items up off the floor. That wastes time and contaminates another pair of gloves. We kick them under the trash can and keep working. The floor is swept regularly and that's when stuff gets picked up.

Yeah, I can't see how large scale waste to feed operations are going to work in real world settings. For those who are in position to work with a local market or restaurant owner, that's a terrific, but somewhat unique situation.

I've also read a story or two about someone who feeds their flock by dumpster diving, but that's not an option that appeals to me.

What I can do is to be thoughtful about my own food waste. There is a lot that we as consumers throw away that can be repurposed into animal feed with a little effort and planning. And it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. Some commercial feed, and some fresh/food waste.

Much of our food waste goes to the chickens. Not things that are excessively salty or greasy, but all the fruit and vegetable trimmings, the dubious leftovers (not spoiled, just dubious), stale bread, etc.

Except cooked bones, those go in the garbage. And butchered guts

I was culling cockerels this morning and rather than mess with the giblets, which we don't eat personally, I just carried them to the coops and dropped them in. They love liver particularly, though sometimes they seem to have trouble with gizzards.

Back
Top Bottom