new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
I always feed higher protein feed to my adult birds in the winter, due to molting and then also as a prelude to collecting hatching eggs. Once that's done I put them back on 16% figuring they can forage for extra protein via insects through the spring and summer.
I usually have poults May through October that are under 8 weeks and need higher protein... so everyone gets the higher protein. But they are foraging a lot and the feed usage is a third to half of what they eat after the frost.
I usually have molting birds until late December so I keep feeding turkey if I can get it still....or chick starter. The all flock I feed in January through April is 20%

If the feed has the same percent protein all year long, the hens are getting more total protein (grams per day) in the winter than summer, because they are eating more total feed.

As for protein needs when molting: hens usually quit laying eggs while they are molting. So a hen who is molting instead of laying has the protein that would go into an entire egg, each day, to grow her feathers, just from eating her usual food (but if she eats less feed than usual, or gets insects in summer but not winter, she might need a higher percent protein in her base feed to get the correct amount each day.)
Mine all did slow molts and I didn't notice a reduction in egg production until daylight dropped below about 9 hours. I think fast molt vs slow molt that is mostly genetic rather than nutrition unless they are malnourished enough to cause other health problems too. Although stress and maybe other things can be factors in how they molt.

I try to give them enough protein options that they don't slow egg production in order to be able to grow feathers. I don't really care how many eggs I get - we eat far fewer than they lay anyway and I'd rather get about what we eat. I just don't want to risk them being not well nourished.

another relevant news item this morning, where we read

"UPF is designed to be overeaten; for some people, it is addictive. Eating it to excess has nothing to do with “willpower” or “greed”. Van Tulleken stresses that he has no moral view on eating or not eating UPF, and has no interest in telling people what to eat or how to lose weight. He would simply like people to know what they are eating and be equipped to make a conscious choice.

The problem is the industrialised food system, not individual consumers. “I resent our food system being so polluted,” he says. “I want UPF to be treated like cigarettes.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...ed-foods-the-19-things-everyone-needs-to-know

Van Tulleken is a medic working in London.

another relevant news item this morning, where we read

"UPF is designed to be overeaten; for some people, it is addictive. Eating it to excess has nothing to do with “willpower” or “greed”. Van Tulleken stresses that he has no moral view on eating or not eating UPF, and has no interest in telling people what to eat or how to lose weight. He would simply like people to know what they are eating and be equipped to make a conscious choice.

The problem is the industrialised food system, not individual consumers. “I resent our food system being so polluted,” he says. “I want UPF to be treated like cigarettes.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...ed-foods-the-19-things-everyone-needs-to-know

Van Tulleken is a medic working in London.
So true
Very addictive. I can't have just one

Doritos. and Pringles.

I really can eat just one, close the bag/can, sit them next to me on the desk and ignore them for days without thought. But when I want a salt fix, I can just as easily eat an entire bag/can w/o thought.

It doesn't get much more processed than Pringles, they aren't even made from potatoes (directly), they are made from instant potato flakes. Makes them essentially potato tortillas or crackers, I suppose...

In any event, I'm going to stick with UPF isn't inherently bad, isn't inherently good - but by the nature of the products produced via those processes, its MUCH easier to find examples of nutritionally bad than acceptable, much less good.

Back
Top Bottom