new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
I am looking forward with interest to see if fertility rates are better this year.
That will be interesting to know the results.
I can now report back that the fertility rates, in the second year of all birds on 100% home-made feed, are 14 or 15 out of 15. I don't know about 1 because that egg got broken and was eaten on the nest, so there was nothing to check.

The rest were all fertile, though not all hatched. About 5 days into the incubation of one clutch there was a disturbance; one egg got knocked out the nest, that is probably also when an egg got broken, and another egg was subsequently found to have stopped developing around that point. There was a fourth loss from that clutch when one fully developed chick didn't make it through the hatch; it got squashed during or after when half way out the shell. All the rest hatched, with no defects, and no visible sickness to date; one disappeared at a few weeks old and is presumed predated.

The other obvious influence on fertility is the rooster(s). The dominant when the first was fertilized is a 4 year old Swedish Flower, with 3 subordinates. He was deposed by an almost 1 year old ex-sub before the second and third clutches were formed. There are also 2 more subordinate roos. Last year one of the subs sired 5 of the 10 that hatched.

This is the oldest of this year's chicks, an unplanned solo, incubated in a flower pot and raised outdoors 24/7 for the first six weeks by a headstrong broody, whose sire was probably the old dom, since her legs would be slate coloured if it was the new dom.
Fez 15 wks old today.JPG

A new piece on food and feed fraud:

"Food fraud is pervasive across all parts of the supply chain, from basic agricultural commodities to bulk ingredients used for manufactured foods and through to finished grocery items in every category.

The Grocery Manufacturer’s Association estimates that at least 10 percent of all retail food has been affected by food fraud in some way by the time it gets into your shopping cart. The real proportion is probably even higher than 10 percent... Consumers are, for the most part, at the mercy of the food industry, with no way of telling whether any item in their grocery cart is affected by fraud or not. That is why people in the food supply chain must become a little less trusting of their suppliers and a little more careful about checking for food fraud in the materials they purchase. "

https://modernfarmer.com/2023/10/opinion-food-fraud/

Buying fresh food produced locally is a reliable way of sourcing honest produce.

"Food fraud is pervasive across all parts of the supply chain, from basic agricultural commodities to bulk ingredients used for manufactured foods and through to finished grocery items in every category.
In the Netherlands we have a tv program that investigates questions of consumers, from food fraud to misleading labels.
One of the items that passed in the last year was Lipton tea. Lipton adds sugor in the tea bags without telling on the label.

A few weeks ago they had an item on frog legs mostly restaurant food). The frog legs are so huge that these can’t come from frogs in Europe. Outcome, imported from an Asian country. Its a factory farm business there. Sirt of Cornish fast growing frogs are cut into pieces without any anaesthesia or so.

Source: https://www.npostart.nl/keuringsdienst-van-waarde/KN_1678993
Maybe you can watch it with a VPN (choose NL) but I don't know if subtitling is available in English.

"Gearhardt has encountered nine-year-olds with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease caused by their diet. Van Tulleken adds: “The most important step is to stop marketing UPFs to children. They are our most vulnerable group and they are not protected at all.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-in-7-of-us-addicted-to-ultra-processed-foods

The HFLS (fatty liver syndrome) that plagues our chickens is caused by their diet of commercial ultra processed feed, not by real foods given as so-called 'treats' or otherwise. From the same piece, earlier, "traditional diets are healthy all over the world, whether they are high in vegetables, fruit, meat, fish or dairy – they are based on whole foods."

"Gearhardt has encountered nine-year-olds with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease caused by their diet. Van Tulleken adds: “The most important step is to stop marketing UPFs to children. They are our most vulnerable group and they are not protected at all.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-in-7-of-us-addicted-to-ultra-processed-foods

The HFLS (fatty liver syndrome) that plagues our chickens is caused by their diet of commercial ultra processed feed, not by real foods given as so-called 'treats' or otherwise. From the same piece, earlier, "traditional diets are healthy all over the world, whether they are high in vegetables, fruit, meat, fish or dairy – they are based on whole foods."
Personally I think it’s not the processing itself that is the problem, but the unhealthy things they add to make it tasty with cheap ingredients.

But I don’t know for sure so I wonder what the main problem of HPF is. The amount of processing or the added sugars, salts and fats.

And I wonder what the effect would be if the government was adding high taxes on all processed food (groceries / snack food) with added sugars, salts and fats.

Or tax the processed food by the level of sugars/fats/salts (like they do with alcohol). And lower the taxes to 0% for unprocessed veggies and fruits with low environmental impact.

Personally I think it’s not the processing itself that is the problem, but the unhealthy things they add to make it tasty with cheap ingredients.

But I don’t know for sure so I wonder what the main problem of HPF is. The amount of processing or the added sugars, salts and fats.

And I wonder what the effect would be if the government was adding high taxes on all processed food (groceries / snack food) with added sugars, salts and fats.

Or tax the processed food by the level of sugars/fats/salts (like they do with alcohol). And lower the taxes to 0% for unprocessed veggies and fruits with low environmental impact.
Personally, I'm not a fan of using our tax code to manipulate peoples behaviors. Think of your least favorite politician ... do you want that person dictating your decisions by controlling taxes?

I posted this link in post #67
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ggpd_i-ga-ba400-b-pp1-bf2-b32-s27?canvas=0&x=1195&y=739&w=3349

Over 70 years ago lobbyists pressing the government to push margarine over butter. I see the problem is that money to the government returns greater profits. Different people have different solutions to that. I would hazard that it's been getting worse over those 70 years, which should help guide people in what works and what doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom