New Residents - 1 Escapee

AllCoop'dUp

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2010
Creswell, Oregon
Got 1 Peacock and 3 Peahens 3 weeks ago. Last week horrible weather ripped a hole in the netting over the enclosure and the Peacock escaped. I can't find "Houdini" anywhere. The breeders say that he won't go far since the hens are still in lockdown, but I can't find or hear him anywhere. I have ton's of tall trees for him to be safe, but I'm concerned that if I let the girls out they'll all just disappear.

Any ideas? Thanks!

keep the hens penned......check those trees at night. place feed on outside of pen just in case he comes back..be maybe lost..hens should call . listen for his call ......

"Houdini" has been heard, but not sighted. I have sprinkled sunflower seeds and 5 grain around the outside of the pen and trails up and through the woods trying to entice him. Unfortnately, the ducks, geese and chickens just follow and eat it. I really wish he would come roost closer to the girls, whom I've still got penned up. I have not heard them returning any of his calls. I'm concerned that if they start laying eggs, none will be fertile.
sad.png

Well...it's been a little over a month and Houdini has not returned. I can hear numerous males all around, but haven't seen any. If the females don't make a mating call, how is the male going to find his way back? I can't really place any food outside the pen, the chickens, ducks and geese will just eat it up. How do I entice Houdini back, or even one of the other males I can hear. They haven't started laying, but when they do the eggs won't be fertile.
sad.png

Just not having much luck this season with my hatching. Put 22 duck eggs under a sittng goose and only 1 hatched out. All the others got totally smashed trying to hatch and they had fully developed ducklings in them. After 5 days of hand feeding the mother goose and her two goslings, came home last night and the baby duck is gone. No body, nothing. The goose still has 9 goose eggs in the nest, but I'm not sure if any more will hatch out. Just heartbroken about the ducklings. I didn't think the small Roman Goose would be too heavy for the duck eggs. Fatal mistake that won't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom