New RIR parent

ElizaFX

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
Hello all, we’re software developers in Northeast Ohio, fostering cats (okay, we’ve adopted six of them over the years) , fixing up a long-neglected 1980 house in the town where I grew up, and - raising our first mini-flock of 4 RIRs since the town officially legalized chickens last summer! Yay! We can only have a few, and no roosters, so fingers crossed we still have 4 by fall. They’re 6 weeks old tomorrow and no obvious male candidates yet.

I did a bunch of research before we ordered the chicks, some of which involved BYC threads, so I figured I’d officially join up to prepare for when I inevitably need to ask for advice. My husband cared for relatives’ adult chickens as a teenager, but we’re newbies to the chick world. Happy to meet everyone!
B6CEFEB1-C890-448E-B1A5-7DC0801A180B.jpeg
AC0A29F2-C50F-4603-9725-2423B186F50B.png

Welcome to BYC! Are they in a bathtub? If so, that's actually a pretty good idea! Hope you enjoy your time here!
Heh, yeah, we have this horribly-cheaply-remodeled guest bathroom upstairs, so I’ve kept foster cats in there before when I wasn’t sure they were fully litterbox-compliant & just scrubbed it down afterward. I started them in there in a plastic bin with a heating pad, but they started jumping out a couple weeks ago, so I just covered the tub drain with the heating pad & threw shavings in there to give them more space. They like sitting on the (closed) toilet and looking out the window. It’s mildly annoying to scrub poop off the floor, but it’s just for a few weeks until we get the prefab coop up and reinforced, and it’s not like I intend to do this every year, so I’m letting them enjoy the room to run around and explore.

Back
Top Bottom