New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Have just emailed you for the 2 box plans for our three hyline egg raiders.

Just wondering what alternatives have been used successfully for the nest pads?

I'm thinking maybe some old carpet with some underlay might work?

Keep up the great work Opa.

Nice boxes but glad I don't have to be the one to try to get the poo out of the astro turf mats. Been there and done that! Burned the pads and went to a little straw and a putty knife.

Last edited:
Dunamis, I have sent you the plans and here is a link to the type of pad I know works and recommend. http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_102&products_id=682
Using grass, straw, or something similar will not work and will not allow the eggs to roll. While you could use the nest with no pads droppings would so effectively stop the eggs from rolling. I can see where using Astro-turf could be hard to clean, but the plastic nest pads are extremely easy. I merely rap them against something and everything fall right out.

Last edited:
thanks for the link Opa, I'll find out how much they charge to ship to Australia unless I can find one over here. Cheers,

Tasmania sure is a long ways from Michigan. I just gave advice on nest building to the other side and the bottom half of the world. BYC certainly is an international community. I've been sharing my nest designs for quite some time now and I lost count of how many I've personally responded to. I've made so many friends on this site and sharing is a big part of what BYC is about. I know some folks have gotten rid of very nice hens because they were egg eaters so I'm trying to educate folks as to what I feel is the best way to handle the egg eating problem; remove the eggs by rolling them away.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

Hey there Opa, yep Tassie is a long way from Michigan for sure! My two berth roll out nesting box is going very well. I've made it slightly lower in height as I read here that if they can't stand in there, they can't eat their eggs - double insurance hopefully.

I haven't been able to track down any nesting pads in Aus yet, but one supplier who used to have them, said that Synthetic Turf is the recommended product now, so I'm going to try and buy some on Friday. Do you think 18mm turf would do the trick or the 35mm ?

Was just wondering, with your extension on the back part to prevent chickens reaching back there, does the egg gain enough momentum to reach the bumper? From memory that would be a 10" roll after leaving the ramp?

Also, was wondering about the landing perch. How far in front of the nesting box should that be?

Thanks for your help.

Dunamis, glad the box is coming together for you. I followed your link on the synthetic turf and I would probably go with the 35mm, however, I think that you may want to make a second set of pads so you can change them out to clean. You may find it more difficult to clean than the plastic nest pads I recommended. They have a more open design that cleans easily by rapping it against a hard surface. Was the cost of shipping from Cutler Supply to prohibitive?

A distance of about 6 inches in more than adequate for the landing perch in front on the nestboxes. The back extention distance really necessary to take the eggs beyond the reach of the hens. I have a foam bumper for the eggs to roll against that I made from a piece of foam water pipe insulation. I've been using these boxes for over two years now and have never had an egg broken due to striking the back wall or another egg.

Back
Top Bottom