1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Opa, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Try painting the inside a dark color. That might be why they haven't used it. I've never had a problem with the exception of an occasional floor layer.

2. dunamis

dunamis New Egg

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks Opa, have sprayed it black inside today, fingers crossed they'll come to the party, otherwise their heads might be coming off!

3. dunamis

dunamis New Egg

Jun 2, 2011
    Good news! I'm not crowing too much yet, but I did get an egg in the rollout box this morning... maybe that lick of black paint did the trick! Still keeping fingers crossed and axe sharp.

4. kowell275

kowell275 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    stanwood
    look great i wont to make one.[​IMG]

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have 16 hens using the rollout box and ocassionally I will get an egg in the lower boxes but for the most part they only want to use two of the top nests.

6. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I got my plywood today to start my build but decided that it was just to d*m hot. It reached 100 here today and figured this project can wait till the outside doesn't feel like an oven.

7. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Cool nest box............I would love one just like it, and maybe I can follow your example and make me one TYVM awsum nestbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. afveteran88

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    Got done cutting everything out today and plan on putting it all togather tommorrow.
    Hope it all works out. If not Opa you are only 50 miles from me and I may have to order one. lol

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I'm sure that you will do just fine, most folks underrate their abilities. If you run in to a snag don't hesitate to contact me for my # and maybe I can help get you on track.

10. afveteran88

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    Got them put togather today with no problems. I'm trying to find old tire tubes to cut up for the flaps. I did get my matts in the other day. I'll post pictures as soon as they are installed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by